sealing wax for envelopes

I have a friend getting married....does anyone know what kind of wax is used to melt and stamp the envelopes closed for their invitations?

I have found several places that sell the wax, but it is kinda expensive. Is there any kind of wax candle makers use that would work? Anyone ever tried this before?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure you could do this with a single, unadulterated wax. Traditionally, sealing wax is made from a mix of beeswax and turpentine, with some color added, generally in some powdered form. The trick is in the mix, so for a small batch, you can start with 4 oz (dry weight) melted beeswax and add 1 oz (liquid) turpentine and see if that gives you the consistency to roll up into a sealing wax stick once the mixture starts to cool. A tiny bit of coloring is all that is needed.

What would improve the results from the old stick method would be to actually make this mixture into a candle with a tiny wick, so that you light the wick and drip the wax, as opposed to using another heat source to melt the stick, which sometimes will add more black carbon to the seal than you might want.

HTH,

John

Funny to see this, cause I've been researching this like crazy for the last month. I got hell-bent on using wax seals as part of my packaging. I found both the sealing wax & the seals to be difficult to find & pricey when you do. If you google 'how to make sealing wax' you'll get lots of hits & most seem to be the same basic recipe. Pine resin is the main ingredient that makes this wax adhere properly. Also, called for a specific type of turpentine & most sites advised it would be a bit difficult to find both of those ingredients. It really *seemed* too difficult to make & pics looked really messy ... guess that explains the high price, huh!?! Please let me know if you find anything in your search, cause I still want to do this.

Susan.

• 11 months later...