wicking up question

vital stats

4630 wax

8oz apathocary jar 4 inch diameter

FOs - Lemongrass and pumpkin spice both from C&S

10% FO used, I've also tested at 8%FO

wicks used

HTP 83, HTP 93, and HTP 104

After 4 test burns at 4 hours each with all 3 wicks i'm not getting a full melt pool. The 93 had the best flame, the 105 had the bigger melt pool but in the initial light it was a large flame and smoking for roughly the first hour. I've trimmed the wick to 1/4 before lighting.

CS suggestion guide says for my jar HTP83 at 6%FO

So the question is, is it okay to do a wick up 3 to 4 steps in wicks? Like to a 105 which isn't much bigger then a 104

I don't like the huge flame and smoke from the 104, but i want a full melt pool.

It's a pretty wide jar, so Jan's suggestion is worth considering.

I just think you're really pushing it with the FO. Were you using 8% or 10% when you got those results with the 104? Smoking at the beginning of the burn sounds suspicious. Too much FO can cause a flareup -- basically a tall flame and smoke at the beginning of the burn, with clogging and mushrooming towards the end.

If you don't know the maximum you can use for any particular FO, testing the FO at high levels and wick testing at the same time can be awfully confusing. It's like trying to figure out two things at the same time and you don't know which one accounts for what you're seeing.

It's a pretty wide jar, so Jan's suggestion is worth considering.

I just think you're really pushing it with the FO. Were you using 8% or 10% when you got those results with the 104? Smoking at the beginning of the burn sounds suspicious. Too much FO can cause a flareup -- basically a tall flame and smoke at the beginning of the burn, with clogging and mushrooming towards the end.

If you don't know the maximum you can use for any particular FO, testing the FO at high levels and wick testing at the same time can be awfully confusing. It's like trying to figure out two things at the same time and you don't know which one accounts for what you're seeing.

Double wicking is common with the standard apothecary jars that are 4 inches in diameter? I got these from CS, I also talked to the help people and they did suggest the 2 steps up when you start adding that much FO.

I am getting the mushrooming at the end, but not the clogging, the flame height is about an 1 inch tall after the first hour of burn, and the mushrooming starts around hour 3 of the burn.

The 4630 says it does 10% FO, so i was testing both %, They produced great results in throw with both %

You may not achieve the scent throw you want from that supplier's FOs. I use the lemongrass in diffusers but always found their spicy scents very weak for me.

the hot throw is great with the 93 and 104 wicks, but the 83 was not as strong. With one burning in the front of the house and the other burning at the back my DW says the house smells like fruit loops. She's my tester while i'm at work(she's good at filling out the questionaire for me)

I'm trying to get way from C&S FOs but sadly i went nuts when i started and didn't know better. I'm getting close to just writting off the scents and tossing them in the garbage and starting from scratch with CS and Peaks.