huge hole/tunnel on top

Hi Everyone,

I've done some searching of the threads regarding holes, tunnels, sink holes, etc, but they've all talked about how they showed up after burning or days later. For me, I poured the candle about 1 hour ago and now there's a hole about the size of a pencil eraser and is about 1/8" from the glass and about 1 inch from the wick. I can see about 1/2" down into the hole. There is also some sinking from where the hole is located toward the wick, almost like the wax is collapsing underneath. I noticed the candle set up/cooled from the bottom, then the top and then around the sides/middle. It's the first time I've used this jar so I don't know if that's normal - thought I should mention it.

Details:

Jar: 12 oz. Status

Wax: Ecosoya CB-135

Wick: LX-16

FO: Lavender Basil

Room temp: 77

Heated Wax: 180

Added FO: 130

Poured: 125

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Should I try pouring at a lower temp?

Thanks,

Faith

I no longer check my pour temp but I pour CB135 when it starts to cloud and is the consistency of thin gravy. Smooth tops and no sink holes.:D I found if I pour slushy I do not get smooth tops.

Also, if you are not adding color I do not think you need to heat the wax to 180. I heat mine to around 165. I also add my FO as soon as I remove it from the heat. In my experience this has worked well.

I no longer check my pour temp but I pour CB135 when it starts to cloud and is the consistency of thin gravy. Smooth tops and no sink holes.:D I found if I pour slushy I do not get smooth tops.

Also, if you are not adding color I do not think you need to heat the wax to 180. I heat mine to around 165. I also add my FO as soon as I remove it from the heat. In my experience this has worked well.

Thanks for the response. Do you know what temp you're typically at when it begins to cloud? Just curious. Everything I've read about adding FO says to add it just before the pour but I'll totally give it a try by adding it right after I take it off the heat.

I did try the heat gun last night and it fixed the sink hole but the top wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. Then this AM, the jar is basically one giant wet spot with great glass adhesion the entire way around the jar, except at the lower 1/2 inch where it pulled away all the way around.

Can you clarify something for me? Is the goal with CB-135 to have it pull away from the sides or is the goal to have good glass adhesion with no pull (resulting in various wet spots)?

Thanks!

I know my temp is lower than 125 when I pour, not sure of the exact temp though.

You will get some wet spots with CB135, but I have learned to live with them!:D

I personally just think that 130 is too low to add FO. I get great scent throw adding it b/w 160-165.