When Soap Seizes

eugenia

Basically, it's a bad reaction with the fragrance and lye. Rapidly, you have a rock solid pot of soap that is impossible to get into a mold.

You can throw it away, but there is another option.

I just had 9.5 lbs of soap seize. BAM!!!! Instant rock in just a minute after I added my lye water to my oils and fragrance. You could not even stir it. I took the pot, put it on the stove, lit the burner on low. I added some water to make up for the discount (some water evaporates during HP so discounting is not recommended) and 1 tablespoon of regular sugar per pound of oils.

I continued to stir until I thought my arm would fall off, but eventually, it all became gelatinous. At the point that all the rocks were melted, I poured it into the mold.

I did not even color it and it won't win any beautiful soap awards, but it will be soap.

This has not happened to me in a while, but I wanted to give the new soapers a heads up so that they know what their options are if this should happen.

e

I had a the second big seize of my life Saturday using condensed milk in a recipe. I put mine in the microwave! No sugar or extra liquid, but got the same result, and it's ugly as all hell, but it lathers great and smells good to boot.

Great thread for us newbies.

I like the microwave idea since my soaping pot is not really a pot but a plastic rubbermaid pitcher. So, what's the temp & time if doing this in the microwave? Would love to know just in case I have to do.

Thank you all for these great tips.

I soap in a large plastic mixing bowl with rubber on the bottom (from IKEA)

It was only a 35 oz. oils batch, I put it in the microwave on Power Level 7 for a minute, checked it and stirred it around, put it in for another minute...same thing, then put it in for 30 seconds and that did the trick.

It wasn't really 'fluid' like a medium traced soap (I didn't add any liquid), but it was more like a rebatch. It poured into the mold, but very thick. Banged it on the counter a couple times and just let it sit til it was cooled off.

Thanks for that tip E! Thank goodness you were able to save that huge batch!

I've had this happen ONCE (knocking on wood) and I had no idea I could salvage it, so threw it out.

It's nice to know there's still life after seize! LOL

Thanks as well to jbren-sounds like it goes much quicker in the micro.