Why you can't always trust customer reviews

blazerina

I was just looking at scent descriptions on a suplier site when I noticed a review for one that was 3 stars out of five...

The scent was Baby Powder. The complaint ?????

It smelled JUST LIKE the real thing.

:confused: We can't have scents smelling like their names now can we:rolleyes2

Just drove home the concept that reviews are so often based on personal preference - which really should have no bearing on your review of the overall product. Unless of course one is making concrete comparisons. I suppose it's a fine line. But it also reminds me how much I appreciate the honest reviews that are offered up here. Many say 'It wasn't my favorite, but throw was excellent.' Or the contrary, 'Too bad this one didn't throw well at all, I sure wanted it to as it is my fave Lotion scent.'

It really is helpful, and as i've seen amongst other's here, much much appreciated! :bow:

Just one of my musings... cary on. :D

Lol.. I'm not so sure I was shocked exactly but just one of those moments that remind you to be wary, yanno? I mean, if they didn't show the text of the review, and I didn't know why they gave it 3 out of 5, i'd probably avoid that fo. Which would be too bad kwim? 90% of the time I'm sure they are honest and informed reviews and it's great to have that info available, don't me wrong, not saying that at all.

On other shopping sites I've seen people give reviews for something they don't personally have or used, but they give reviews based on what 'others' have said, or how their Sister reacted when given the item as a gift. (Of course they gonna 'rave' about it.) And THAT makes me :rolleyes2 - because we all know how hard it can be to get HONEST feedback from someone we give things to.

So I guess I should just be happy they show the full review as much as they do and shut up and be happy - but not naieve. :)