Cd wicking question

I have a mold that a cd 12 is too small and a cd18 does a full melt from side to side with no wax on the ends, but it puts out a high flame. Any suggestions on what CD size wick to try next? Thought about going to the next smaller size of a 16 or should I try a 14. Any suggestions. BCS tech support told me to try a CD12 first but it's not giving a full burn all the way across. Like I said, a CD 18 gives a full burn all the way across, but it puts forth a high flame. If it helps any, the mold is a Texas shape and is approximately 1 and 7/8 inches across in the widest part and approximately holds 2 ounces of wax. Thanks in advance.

Ahhh... that explains my confusion! I use CD18 primarily, and I thought it a given to test at least one size up and one size down... I couldn't live without multiple sizes of wicks on hand, so I assumed every one else did that too.

Other than that, I have no advice.

It is a pillar shaped Texas, yes, but it is small like the height of a votive. BCS tech said to try a CD12 as i tried a votive wick and it tunneled. CD18 burned well but had a high flame but melted all the way across. CD12 tunnelled as well. I'm going to get a BCS sampler pack and see what happens.

Any suggestions on an HTP wick to try? Figure I'll try those as well. Never used those wicks though so...............

Ahhh... that explains my confusion! I use CD18 primarily, and I thought it a given to test at least one size up and one size down... I couldn't live without multiple sizes of wicks on hand, so I assumed every one else did that too.

Other than that, I have no advice.

I use CD12 for almost ALL my creations with the exception of one or two that use a CD18. Because of that, I don't normally have a wide variety of wicks on hand. Everyone is different i suppose.

I use CD12 for almost ALL my creations with the exception of one or two that use a CD18. Because of that, I don't normally have a wide variety of wicks on hand. Everyone is different i suppose.

I have both sizes and can send a couple of each. But I would go down in size I have used a CD 8 & 10 for a JJ and they are 2 1/2" across. Guess it depends on your wax but they all seem large to me. Let me know if you want a couple and I'll send. PM me.

In case you haven't thought of this, the right size wick will give you a melt pool diameter of about 1 inch per hour of burn time. Are you testing the actual burn time with each wick? Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and think that it should burn quickly to the margins of the candle, but you want your candle to last awhile and not burn up too quickly or spill over the edge. If I were using CD's for that particular size candle I'd start with a CD-8 and work my way up, but I highly doubt you'd go any higher than a 10. A CD 12 and higher, for a candle that is less than 2" in diameter, seems MUCH to large to me as well.

Well, a 12 tunnelled and never gave a good melt pool. I thought a 12 was large to start with too but was referred to a 12 by BCS tech support based upon the wax that I was using. I"m using IGI 4614A (formerly 2275) if that helps. I'm still going to test with different sizes when I get the sampler pack in until I find one that will work for what I need. I knew it would be hard to wick because of the shape and lol if it was larger I'd double wick it. But, try, try again and eventually I'll find what works well w/o burning too fast, tunneling or burning too hot.