soy wax with carved candles?

The sad answer is no. Soy on it own is not pliable. It is very brittle almost all the veggie wax would be the same.

That's what I thought, as well... but, if not burned, I guess I can live with dealing with a bit of paraffin. Of course, it's on the menu... Not something I plan on doing right away.

My son saw it (he's nearly 18) and said boy, I bet you could make some $$ making those... LOL.

Yah... lol. Candles and money don't equate. But it sure is fun!:yay:

Thanks Vicky!

Now gotta get this nasty naiouli EO scent off my fingers. Yuck. It sounded nice! Har har...

Now, Vio, you use ecosoya PB, so you are familiar with its properties, both warm and cold - can you see it being as elastic and flexible like the paraffin that Bruce uses for his wonderful creations? Imagine dipping and layering PB, then attempting to warm, cut and twist it... :shocked2: *faint*

Get out the whisk broom and dustpan!!:laugh2:

I tried to make a handformed rose from EZ Soy once... It totally didn't work out, so I squeezed it into a pear shape instead. Dang, it was butt ugly. :embarasse That pretty much ended my experiments into handforming objects with soy wax. :laugh2:

Now you CAN sculpt veggie pillar waxes successfully and that's a lot of fun. My partner did a few simple zodiac pillars for her mom & sisters that came out looking very nice. :)

Now, Vio, you use ecosoya PB, so you are familiar with its properties, both warm and cold - can you see it being as elastic and flexible like the paraffin that Bruce uses for his wonderful creations? Imagine dipping and layering PB, then attempting to warm, cut and twist it... :shocked2: *faint*

Get out the whisk broom and dustpan!!:laugh2:

I tried to make a handformed rose from EZ Soy once... It totally didn't work out, so I squeezed it into a pear shape instead. Dang, it was butt ugly. :embarasse That pretty much ended my experiments into handforming objects with soy wax. :laugh2:

Now you CAN sculpt veggie pillar waxes successfully and that's a lot of fun. My partner did a few simple zodiac pillars for her mom & sisters that came out looking very nice. :)

Hey Stella,

I'm not Vio (don't feel bad, even my son thought she was me).

I thought of the brittleness and said no, but saw a post on here about carved candles and soy, the photos didn't show up tho. Sigh.

Zodiac pillars?? That I've got to see!

Crap I'm not ready to carve, just interested... I'm still tryin to wick those darned palm pillars (took a 2 mo break, by the way- planning on taking them on next week).

Right now I've got a starburst 6 oz ball palm pillar with atlas cedarwood eo burning. I thought it was overwicked, but seems to be burning quite nicely after an hour. Watch for lots of pics in the gallery soon! :D Got nothing better to do- out on disability.

Got any suggestions for a great candle for my uncle? He has been 'helping' me out by sending me money bc of my disability. He wants some sort of remembrance candle... my grandma (his mom) died on New Year's Eve 2 years ago. I'm thinking he's wanting something special for her...

She was a die-hard Christian, if that helps. I miss her! Her name was Viola and I still feel as if she is my namesake- G'ma Vi. Someday I will be G'ma Vi. Everyone already calls me Vi. :)

Way off-topic but still... that's me ... ADHD! haha.

I am so sorry, Vi (and apologies to Vio also)! :embarasse

*...clean those glasses, willya Stella...*

Got any suggestions for a great candle for my uncle?
Well.... how's about a fat palm pillar or everlasting with a lovely sculpted cross design on it? Name, birth/death dates...? Viola is such a lovely name...

Aren't balls FUN? I really like the ones we have made and they were easier to wick than I thought they would be... I still have not poured the new polycarbonate mold yet - need to do that this weekend! You have inspired me!! :)

I wish I had taken some photos of Jen's zodiac pillars before she grabbed them and ran... I promise I'll snap a photo the next time she makes one.

Sounds like you are using your disability time to good use!! Hope you recuperate quickly (and have fun while doing so)! :)

I am so sorry, Vi (and apologies to Vio also)! :embarasse

*...clean those glasses, willya Stella...*

Well.... how's about a fat palm pillar or everlasting with a lovely sculpted cross design on it? Name, birth/death dates...? Viola is such a lovely name...

Aren't balls FUN? I really like the ones we have made and they were easier to wick than I thought they would be... I still have not poured the new polycarbonate mold yet - need to do that this weekend! You have inspired me!! :)

I wish I had taken some photos of Jen's zodiac pillars before she grabbed them and ran... I promise I'll snap a photo the next time she makes one.

Sounds like you are using your disability time to good use!! Hope you recuperate quickly (and have fun while doing so)! :)

Stella,

I would love to know how to do an everlasting with a sculpted design... I wish I could carve... then I could do one with a cross and my g'ma's bday and date of death etc... How would I sculpt one w/out much trouble using soy? Or would I have to break down and buy paraffin?

The round pillar is working so far with starburst palm and a 60z wick. Crossing my fingers. Flame is kinda low, tho! Oh no!

We'll see. I'll post on a separate thread with my results. :)

LOL I'm reading this thread because I'm interested in reading the responses on whether the soy can be used or not. I see Vio and I thought you were talking to me too Stella, but I understand how you are calling Violet Vio. I have used the handle of Violet since I came on the net over 10 years ago (1997). One forum I go to daily my name there is Violet and people always address me as Vio or Vi for short. So, when I came here I just used Vio. It is shortened from Violet though, the way I'm using it so I can see how you related it. My real name is not Violet though, but I always loved that name, so I use it online. Sorry if it's caused any confusion here. LOL ;)

Really funny too, that when I first saw Violetsexoticcandles, I thought for a long time it was a melding of the words, Violet Sexotic Candles. LOL I only realized it Violet, after going to your website to take a peak one time, that it's Violets Exotic Candles. LOL

I love your name Violet! ;)

Sorry to go a little OT, but like I said I've been watching this thread to see if it could be done as well. Not that I want to try it, but just out of curiousity. ;)

LOL I'm reading this thread because I'm interested in reading the responses on whether the soy can be used or not. I see Vio and I thought you were talking to me too Stella, but I understand how you are calling Violet Vio. I have used the handle of Violet since I came on the net over 10 years ago (1997). One forum I go to daily my name there is Violet and people always address me as Vio or Vi for short. So, when I came here I just used Vio. It is shortened from Violet though, the way I'm using it so I can see how you related it. My real name is not Violet though, but I always loved that name, so I use it online. Sorry if it's caused any confusion here. LOL ;)

Really funny too, that when I first saw Violetsexoticcandles, I thought for a long time it was a melding of the words, Violet Sexotic Candles. LOL I only realized it Violet, after going to your website to take a peak one time, that it's Violets Exotic Candles. LOL

I love your name Violet! ;)

Sorry to go a little OT, but like I said I've been watching this thread to see if it could be done as well. Not that I want to try it, but just out of curiousity. ;)

Hey no problem, as long as you like the name! :) Sexotic candles- got that before... lol. Purple exotic sex candles... yum... haha.

Thanks I love my name too, after 35 years. I didn't like it as a kid, though, when everyone was named Jessica, Sara, etc,... just like my height.. learned to love being 5'1. ;):yay:

Well... Vi, Vio and everyone... the way Jen did her zodiac candles was she found a symbol online that she liked and printed it out. Then she taped it to the candle and traced the outline of the design, pressing down with the pencil to make an impression. Then she removed the paper and the impression of the tracing was on the candle. She then took some clay sculpting tools (we got a set for about $10 at Hobby Lobby) and carved out the design. Easy peasy. :) She said that as the pillars burned (remember these were palm wax pillars that she wicked to leave a 3/8" shell, which could also be done with soy, although I think the palm would be prettier, IMHO), the design glowed nicely because the wax was thinner in those spots.

As far as the everlasting - I think there are instructions here somewhere to make them so all you would have to do would be to add the design and lettering to one. You could practice on a pillar or two until you felt confident enough to try it on the everlasting. HTH :)