Soap Wedding Favors

cbv1

I got a voicemail from a potential customer, asking if I do wedding favors with my handmade soap. She is getting married in May and is inquiring about 100 wedding favors with handmade soap. OK, I have never been asked this before so I thought, sure I guess I could do this. I emailed her and asked if she was interested in my regular size soap or smaller bars, what scents, different for male vs female, how to package etc. I have no idea how much I would even charge because I am sure she won't want to pay my full price which would be $550 for 100 bars of soap at full price. Has anyone ever done wedding favors with your product and if so, how much did you discount? Did you run into any issues you didn't expect, like a bride-to-be changing her mind etc? I think I would like at least half the cost up front. Any advice, suggestions or warnings would be appreciated.

Brides aren't expecting a big discount - or at least not on any orders I have done. If you want to give a discount.. I would think 10% is fine. They expect to spend alot for their big day.

HTH,

Chele

Thanks for the info Chele. I guess my first instinct is for everyone to expect a huge discount for a large order!

This is merely my opinion and partially what happened with my wedding (before I even knew I could make anything of my own).

I would tally your product cost first, and ask for that upfront, so at the very least, you won't be out supplies. ETA: And of course, don't tell her what you are charging up front is cost of supplies.

Set a deadline when you intend on making them and let her know that once that date has passed, no changes can be made without a full recharge of products changed, and no refunds on material cost will be given after that time.

I would offer a 10% discount also. Buying 10 is one thing, buying 100 is totally different and personally, I would give a small discount to ANYONE buying such a large quantity for whatever reason outside of wholesales. You never know how word of mouth on a wedding will get around AND you are getting advertising to 100 people at once.

For wedding stuff, I did have to sign a small contract, to protect from bridal fever me thinks, when I paid 1/2 up front. Sorta like a promissory note/invoice in one, that basically was a receipt for what I paid, that I promised to pay in full, and that I understood that no changes could be made without an additional fee, and that I verified the order form.

Considering how many brides are willing to sue these days over a couple of wilted flowers, a cake that is 10 minutes late or whatever for *thousands* of dollars, I don't see it as an unreasonable request.

This is merely my opinion and partially what happened with my wedding (before I even knew I could make anything of my own).

I would tally your product cost first, and ask for that upfront, so at the very least, you won't be out supplies. ETA: And of course, don't tell her what you are charging up front is cost of supplies.

Set a deadline when you intend on making them and let her know that once that date has passed, no changes can be made without a full recharge of products changed, and no refunds on material cost will be given after that time.

I would offer a 10% discount also. Buying 10 is one thing, buying 100 is totally different and personally, I would give a small discount to ANYONE buying such a large quantity for whatever reason outside of wholesales. You never know how word of mouth on a wedding will get around AND you are getting advertising to 100 people at once.

For wedding stuff, I did have to sign a small contract, to protect from bridal fever me thinks, when I paid 1/2 up front. Sorta like a promissory note/invoice in one, that basically was a receipt for what I paid, that I promised to pay in full, and that I understood that no changes could be made without an additional fee, and that I verified the order form.

Considering how many brides are willing to sue these days over a couple of wilted flowers, a cake that is 10 minutes late or whatever for *thousands* of dollars, I don't see it as an unreasonable request.

Thank you MissMary... sound advice. I was thinking the same thing about my product getting into 100 different set of hands. Pretty good exposure I thought!

Wedding favors are 1/3 my income with my biz. Not a great deal of soap, but I sell mucho candles to brides. I average a wedding a week between April and August.

This is what I have learned. If you have a bride that wants to give a handmade product such as your soap, then she cares enough about her guests to show her appreciation by giving them a personal gift.

Some Quick Tips:

Give them a discount for sure, depending on how many guests, they all have budgets - the average price for my weddings favors under 200 guests is about $2.25-$3.00

She most likely will want guest sized soaps

I offer personalized packaging

I let the bride pick colors & scent

I make more money at times in upselling the favors, than I do in the favors themselves. I do shower favors, out of town gifts, Mother's baskets, Bridgemaids gifts, centerpieces, mantel arrangements, etc.

I love working with my brides and I have yet to get a bridezilla

* knock on wood*

I get 50% for all custom work before I start, balance due upon delivery. I write a quote before doing any work and then have them sign the quote once we agree on price and she makes her deposit.

I tried working with a bride or two but gave up when they just couldn't figure out what they wanted. They would say pink and then ten days later try and change their minds on both the color and the scent of the candles. I got the research and development cost up front but walked away both times because the brides refuse to have a clue about the time and effort involved.:undecided

They also refuse to take my advice about unscented candles as the candles on the reception table. Been there done that. Now I just smile when they ask and explain that I don't do wedding favors or reception candles. Too much hassel with a wishy washy bride to be!:confused:

Fire

Well, I have left a message and sent an email to the bride-to-be and so far no response. Maybe she found someone else who responded faster than I did. Oh well, if it is meant to be I will hear back from her, otherwise I will chalk it up to experience and be better prepared next time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will file this away for future use! :smiley2: