Salt Bar Question

Louise

When I first started reading about salt bars, I just could not figure out why anyone would want to have a soap with all that salt in it...i.e. in my mind thinking "drying", just as alot of you had done. So after many searches, they do make sense to me now.

Here's my question: Do I only figure in the oils for the lye needed? (sorry, I know it's a stupid question). Or does the salt have to figure in there somewhere? I know you calculate the FO based on the oils only. My mind tells me yes, as the salt is not included on the lye calculator so there would be no way to add it in, but would just like a second voice, third, or fourth telling my mind yes also.

Just like the others said, you figure your lye on your oils only. Lye can not turn salt into soap. Add the salt at trace and be prepared to unmold and cut sooner than other bars. Good luck and have fun. I think that with a salt bar, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks gals for confirming that for me. I'm really anxious to give it a whirl.

From Grumpy's tutorial, I know I need to cut them when they are still warm to avoid "crumbs". I remember she put them in the oven for a bit after pouring in the mold, I'll have to go back and review that part. I take it that is done to help speed up the gel process some and so it's a complete gel?

• 4 weeks later...

OK I'm lost. Searching like mad. What does the salt do? It makes a harder bar I've seen. It's exfoliating too? Does it moisturize somehow? And, is there some salt that should be used over another? I want to try this one when I get my dyes. Darn I want to try 100 types of soap when I get my dyes! LOL Was going to do a mini Grumpy batch. Just to check this out. Just curious what it's going to do for the skin. If it's exfoliating, I might want to look into gentler fo's or something not to irritate my skin. Just curious and not finding all that much out there. Wondering if there's more on it than I'm finding. :)

Vio, from what I've read, the salt bars will not be exfoliating unless you do it using the HP method, so if you CP it, sounds like it will not be abrasive.

Also, here's some info I've been gathering here and there from my salt bar information folder:

Salt Soap Information

Now, you may hear "Sea salt" and think "Drying"......but it's not. It cleans oily skin, and leaves it smooth and polished, without that dry tight feeling. My salt bars are the only soaps I'll use on my acne prone oily face.

Now, by special request, I've made my favorite bar unscented!

Its saponified coconut oil...for lots of scrubby bubbles....unscented, un colored, a pure white bliss of a soap. I added some sprinkles of dried calendula to the top. Calendula is in my opinion, by far one of the best herbs for troubled skin, whether it be oily, sensitive, or mature and dry.

My in-laws (who have their picks of any of my soaps)prefer the salt bars, and they are in their late 70's.

Salt bars give you the cleanest clean without leaving a dry taut feel to the skin.

-These soaps are made using salt and coconut oil (plus a few extra goodies like shea butter!)...this soap has a thick, creamy, lotion-like lather. Salts have been known to help w/circulation, detoxify, and help retain moisture in the skin. It is a different kind of experience.

HTH