Goat Milk Body Butter

Delia

Could anyone please share a body butter recipe using goat's milk?

I've made Goat milk soap, but would like to try a body butter with the GM. Does one need to add a preservative when making body butter with GM? IF so, what would be best one to use?

Thanks!

Delia

Sorry I can't help you with an answer but I would like to know this as well. I wonder if you could make an emulsified butter subbing the water for GM or just a regular body butter using powdered GM. Hmmmmmmmmmm wheels are churning :laugh2:That's scary.

Hi Delia,

I see you reponded to my post about honey and GM in lotion that I did a year ago,

I have learned a bit since then...;) I have my own goats and use fresh GM as well.

Are you talking about an emulsified body butter which includes e-wax and liquids? Or a whipped butter that is just oils? The only way to add GM is to use and emulsified body butter recipe of which you will find recipes for in the recipes section as well as in the archives of this board. you replace some of the liquid (ie water or aloe vera juice, etc) with the GM by weight of course.

Yes, Only 10% of the total lotion weight can be GM. I heat and hold all my liquids including GM at 170 degrees F. for 20 minutes before mixing with the melted oils. And any lotion with anything other than oils needs a preservative. I do use phenonip at the reccomended rate of 1%. I add half to hot oils and half to hot liquids. Check with your preservative manufacturer for usage rates and at what temp to add, etc.

The only way to be sure your preservative is working is to have it challenge tested. I strongly advise that if you are planning on selling it. It is especially important for recipes with GM. I use GM at 5% of the total weight (I'm a chicken, LOL!) and mine tested fine.

Also be sure to clean like you've never cleaned before. preservatives do you no good if the stuff wasn't clean to start with!

HTH,

HI Bethany

Thanks so much for your specifics on how to approach a body butter with GM! Hadn't thought about selling it. I love my goat milk soap that I have been making and just thought I'd like to try a butter.

Love your site also:smiley2:

Delia