Empire candle ??

I don't usually buy other candles but, I just could not pass this up! Two 28 oz. candles for $5.00 and the scent, Ruby Red Grapefruit, is awesome hot and cold!

Anyways, when I blew it out to pinch the wick off, after it cooled, I accidently pulled out the entire wick! No sustainer base! Maybe I'm wrong but, I thought sustainers were manditory in a container??? Oh, the wick looks like fiberglass, it didn't bend very easily, would that be why? Anyone know what type of wick that might be?

Also, just wondering if anyone knows what type of wax they use? It's pretty hard for a container wax, and kind of bubbly looking. Well thanks, just curious lol.

I don't know all that much at this point, but that doesn't sound like a good thing to have happen. That wick loose like that, has got to be something not good. I'd email them or call and ask them why there's no sustainer base in their wicks. From what I've learned so far, a wick that can come loose in a melt pool can be dangerous if it comes up too high and still have fuel to feed it. Maybe it was just a defect, but I'd call or email.

Are you sure there is no sustainer base? I'm just asking cuz I've been known to pull wicks outta their bases many a time-chaps my hide, let me tell ya. ;)

If there's not, yep, I'd be calling them up and chewing them out about it, but make sure first.

If the wax looks kinda "bubbly" it could be a straight paraffin wax, or just a high melt point paraffin. I think I know what you're looking at. I see a lot of those type candles in cheaper stores (walmart, walgreens etc.).

Not sure what you mean about the wick looking like fiberglass? It may have been primed heavily and that's why it doesn't bend as easily? I don't really know. Is it flat? Round? Does it have a core? Does it have little lines on it? Hmmm

I've never heard of Empire Candles, off to do a search. ;)

Michi, when I lit it last night I wondered about that base. I pulled the wick out and put the candle on a melter to see if there was one. Nope nothing there. I don't even know if the wick touched the bottom of the jar.

As for the wick, taking a better look at it with a magnifying glass, I really do need new glasses, it looks to be flat braid as I can almost see the V. It's covered in wax.

Okay, curosity drove me to grab the other candle and remove the label from the bottom. What I found was no base, just the end of the wick barely touching the jar bottom.

Makes me think they drill a hole when it has hardened and then inserted the wick. Maybe hit it with heat to disguise the hole? Pretty strange!

Okay, curosity drove me to grab the other candle and remove the label from the bottom. What I found was no base, just the end of the wick barely touching the jar bottom.

Makes me think they drill a hole when it has hardened and then inserted the wick. Maybe hit it with heat to disguise the hole? Pretty strange!

Don't know about strange, but definitely a way to cut cost and produce a cheaper candle. Mind you... I said a CHEAP as in substandard, not inexpensive or quality. Just out of curiosity, does it state where is was made? LOL

I just did a search and found their site.

Ummm...3 x 6 Pillar Burn time 70 hours Price $3.39

They must get a damn good deal on their wax prices!

Well! I'll be damned! They're made in KY. I was SURE it would be China....lol

" Our customers can “Rest Assured” that they are receiving the best candles on the market that simply out perform our competition!" :rolleyes2

Well, this Jar candle says it was made in kansas City. I bought it in the grocery store. They must have had them for the holidays. The retail price was $6.99 for a 20 oz. jar but they were on sale 2 for $5.00. So I took a chance lol. As I said it did smell wonderful!!

The burning instruction do say to quit burning when wax is 1/2" deep. Maybe that's how they get away with out using the sustainer base? Well, thanks everyone and FLAME ON !

With pillars people are somewhat divided on the safety benefits to using sustainer bases. When a wick is used without one, the wick will fall over in the wax when it burns down almost to the end, thus extinguishing the candle before the bitter end. The sustainer base is designed to do the same thing but can let the candle burn down more than one might wish.

Neither method is foolproof and neither method is worth a flip if people don't pay attention to a burning candle. ;)

But is it optional in a container candle? Isn't that dangerous if the wick can float up possibly in a container? Like wouldn't the flame get huge if it did? I have to try just leaving a huge long wick on one of my testers. I wondered what could happen when I first tested, with the wicks poked in. I never turned my back on those that I did that with. I was afraid they could float out or something and make a huge flame.

But is it optional in a container candle? Isn't that dangerous if the wick can float up possibly in a container? Like wouldn't the flame get huge if it did? I have to try just leaving a huge long wick on one of my testers. I wondered what could happen when I first tested, with the wicks poked in. I never turned my back on those that I did that with. I was afraid they could float out or something and make a huge flame.

Granted I've not tried it in a container, but I've never seen a wick float....

I've melted down "booboo" candles to remold and the wicks always sinks to the bottom of the pot. Could burning make it float?

If there's no bend in the wick to help it stand up, when the wax melts soft enough to lose support, it should fall over and extinguish itself. Thinking about it, it would be a good way to make sure people don't burn that last 1/2"..... BUT it would increase the fire hazard if people don't keep the melt pool free for debris and wick trimmings etc if it fell over and caught the "trash" on fire.

Ohhhhh. :)

Thanks. I never knew if a wick would float, just assumed it. It would make sense it wouldn't the way you explained it. Thanks. Was curious. :)

I have a tester cooling now... gonna test it just to see if burning would keep it afloat :) Never know til ya try!

I don't know about that candle company, but I had a container that I needed to rewick- yanked the old wick out with pliers then stuck a new one in... it was okay til it was near the bottom. Then it fell over... extinguished the flame. Same thing has happened with votives that I was testing wicks in. I don't think I'd wick a candle w/out a sustainer base because of my own experiences... but never saw a fire, luckily. :)

Okay, at least with the wax being really hard I think I'll push the wick back in the candle and light her up and see how it goes all the way to the end. By the way, their lable says, do not pinch off the wick....trim it. I guess that's cause it's to easy to pull it out that way lol.

But is it optional in a container candle? Isn't that dangerous if the wick can float up possibly in a container?

We're talking about pillars here. I would not expect to see a burning wick "float" in a pillar. They simply fall over and extinguish. I have made and burned pillars both with and without sustainer bases. Actually, the ones without the sustainer bases self-extinguish more reliably because the sustainer base cannot be sealed to the bottom of anything (as one would do with a container) and when the bottom of the candle becomes liquid, the wick can draw liquid wax right up the neck of the base allowing the candle to continue burning well past the point where it should have self-extinguished. In fact, I believe that's how I ended up with all that wax on my television screen a while back... ;)

I cant quite imagine a wick floating up unless there is no longer a portion of it held firmly by solid unmelted wax. At which point there isnt anything at all left to hold it straight/vertical. In my experience as well, by this point they just fall over and self extinguish.