What are people paying for craft show fees?

Eden Sass

Hi all,

I have yet to do a craft show (just missed out this past Christmas season) but as I was looking into reserving a particular show that lasts 4 days and I know is very popular (at a university) I saw that the fee is $795!!! I was so excited before I saw the price, because sooo many people go through there and lots of university students buy their xmas presents there (I was one, 10 years ago!) but $795??? Do you think it would be worth it as a candle maker selling 16oz and 5oz jar candles as well as tarts and warmers? (I think I would have to wait a few years yet anyway, but it would be the perfect opportunity to get our product to people all over the province - I'm Canadian!)

btw - this craft show is in Nov.

I would say start smaller and that way if sales aren't so great then you aren't out a massive fee like that. While you are at the first few shows, pass out fliers, business cards, free samples, whatever it takes to get your products noticed. Before long you will have customers flocking to you and you won't flinch at paying $795 for a show space. :) Good luck!

:shocked2: Wow, thats a big one. I agree with asheebeans. Start small and work up to the bigger shows. Get your name out there more first. I did shows all holiday season last year and made my most money, over a grand, at a two day show that I only paid $90 for the booth. At a show that I paid $275 for the booth, didn't even make enough to cover the booth fee. You just never know how a show will to, so it's up to you (and your checkbook) to take that chance.

I'd ask quite a few questions first, such as:

Will there be other chandlers there? Are they grouped or spread out? How many total vendors are there? Etc.

I personally couldn't give any advice, I've never done a show myself, but I've seen that some people won't even skip a beat to get a show at $1000, BUT they are the ONLY chandlers there and the traffic is like 80k people over the specified period of time. Then I've seen others who have been set up right next to another and flubbed no matter the cost.

I'd also break it down into days:

$795 total fee, into 4 days. You'd need to MAKE $200 a day, and if you are selling at 3x the cost as normal retail, then you would have to move around $300ish worth of product a day to roughly break even. (I'd easily knock off $100 overall for thinking of it as getting your name out there though.) I think I did that math right... lol. It's late and I'm tired. :)

Yeah, I do think I may have to work myself up to this one... I do know that they advertise 30k people for the 4 days... and yes, I was trying to do the math last night as well and figured I'd have to sell around 20 16oz candles per day (which I guess when you think of it may not be that hard to do, adding in tarts and smaller jars etc.) but what if it is a flop?? (and that is not counting our time, and how do you even begin to guess how much of each product to bring?? At least it is close to home so we could always run home if need be, but that's a lot of candles to prepare for selling! ) :) All entrants have to be admitted by a jury ($20 just to submit your application). I think I may email them to ask about other chandlers just for curiosity... only problem is that entries are due Mar 31st with pics of your product and whatnot so that doesn't give me much time to work out all the details... perhaps I am crazy even contemplating this!!

I think I may email them to ask about other chandlers just for curiosity...

It's not a curiosity issue. It's a livlihood issue, even if selling candles isn't your only source of income. I would never consider a show without asking how many chandlers have applied and how many will be allowed. You need to do that for every show, be it a $10 show or a $1000 show. Also ask if the show is limited to hand crafted items. If they allow any kind of commercial type items, including home party type items, give serious consideration to just staying home.

They are jurying you. You have every right (more, even, since you are their customer) to jury them. Hold their feet to the fire and make sure they truly are what they say they are, i.e., a CRAFT show, with X amount of people coming through the door. Many craft show hosts tend to pad the numbers to suit themselves.

I think I would have to wait a few years yet anyway

In a few years, anything can change... prices and/or attendance may go way up or down along with many other things. I'd look around at some smaller ones that you can start out with, even if it's just to get a "feel" for doing shows, setting up and improving your displays, kinda like practice :)

*Personally the thought of all those people scares me to death :laugh2:

Thanks for the input, all! I'll let you know what happens! (I'm steering towards steering away, but my partner thinks it would be the best way to get our name out among the locals... and since there are 2 of us there wouldn't be such a great monetary loss if we don't sell much)