EZsoy troubles, anyone?

so i have been using EZsoy since the inception of my candle making. i get my wicking down fairly quickly...as candle testing goes.... and have been using the same wick, same jars, varying frag loads for over a year. have become rather known for my great burning candles amongst friends and family. so i am pouring several potential spring scents...let them cure...decided it's time to test them...hmmm...the wax seems to be burning differently....now i tell myself, it's b/c they are new FO's, don't freak out...let's try a bigger wick...ok...still isn't seeming to burn "normally". so i fire up a tried and true. sure enough it's not burning "right" either...burning verrrry slow. i have always thought this latest batch of wax i got looked different...had a different texture...set up different....ect. so i decide to call up tech support. very nice lady, very helpful....she tells me i am using too small of a wick blink.gif...i say, but i have been using this wick, in this jar, with this wax for over a year and have always had great bruning candles...she basically says i was lucky and that i probably need a different wick...gave me great suggestions and helpful advice. but dang! how can they just "stop working"??? oh, and i have been using LESS fragrance than i had been, so i am even MORE baffled that they are burning so slow.

soooo, i order her suggestions...but what am i to do with the $80+ worth of this brand that i have, in all sizes???? sad.gif i am just dumbfounded.....

another thing...when this wax cools from having ben hot....it gets a smooth glassy top...previous wax has had horrible tops if it get hot...like when i changed the wicks and then zapped the tops till there was a good sized melt pool...previous wax would get a funky top from that...this wax just gets smooth and shiny looking.

i realize that wax can change from batch to batch...but so much to have to go thru the whole testing process agian?? the tech support lady didn't really even entertain the idea that it could be a bad batch other than to say that soy can vary from batch to batch...which i understand, but vary THIS MUCH???

so my question is...has anyone else had any burning probs with recent (within the last month) orders of EZsoy?

3Bees, is it possible that the colder weather is making a difference? I have noticed a change in all of my soy candle blends the past month... Today, it was pretty warm so I am pouring a batch tonight (before the weather turns cold again tomorrow) deliberately to see if it IS the weather causing things to get a little flakey...

I had the same issue with this wax a few years ago and finally was told (after losing a LOT of money and spending tons more money on new wicks to try and figure out what was going on) that you need to test each batch of wax. I had never heard that before nor read it on the site under the wax info or the instructions. I was in the same boat as you. For years I had been using the exact same wick/oil/measurements and boom, all of a sudden with a new order of wax, I was having drowning issues. Like you, the wax out of the box looked/felt different. Sure enough, I checked with the manufacturer of the wax (Golden Food) and the sales rep was very helpful...saying that it is true, each lot can vary some times with wild swings. Since that "several thousand dollar lesson", I have seen some variances, but nothing like what I dealt with that time. Each time I get a new lot of wax, I will test it. I test three different scents, a light one, middle of the road and then a super heavy one. Each time I order, I request that all the boxes are from the same lot.

I don't recall ever seeing a smooth glassy top with 415 (ez soy) without additives. Curious about what lot number you have. Also, what size wicks/brands were you using and then what did they suggest you move to. You could always stick them in the classies. Or heck, hold on to them in case the next batch is different. :smiley2:

I'm pretty sure your problem is the weather. I usually have to wick up on most scents in the winter because soy doesn't burn as well when it's cold. You may think it's warm in the house but if you touch the jar (before you light it) it's always cold. Drafty houses and such will cause the wax to be cooler than other times of the year and cause you to have a slower burn. Also, using less scent will actually make mine harder to burn. I don't use ezsoy but I use my own blend of KY's waxes. It's worked the best for me since I can adjust the melt point for different times of the year.

I would wick up and use the amount of scent that you've always used instead of less and see where you need to go from there.

Good luck!

Rich from BCN has been very accomodating in resolving this issue. i am getting a new case of wax on monday and returning the old one for them to have tested.

GourmetSoy...thank you for your suggestions....i'm fairly certain it isn't a weather issue. i stuck the biggest wick i had (ECO14) into my 2.5" diameter jar....this wick should act like a torch in a jar that size....with this wick, it took nearly 12 hrs to reach a FMP in a candle with a tried and true scent and one candle never did attain a FMP. also, i have never had issues with weather in the past, thankfully.

I used EZsoy and found that with every change in the season, more testing was necessary. Testing was always an ongoing issue. Very tempermental wax, IMO.

I've also been testing 415, this wax is very tempermental. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced much success wicking this wax (only been testing it for about a year now)...lol...grrr...lol...it's making me go crazy...

I'm getting some samples of the 444 and 464 to try, hopefully I'll have better luck with one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey 3bees...have you heard anything back from BC? I recently got some wax (different lot number from my previous) and it is behaving very strangely. It is burning slower (looks to need maybe one step up in wicking). Other things I noticed:

* seems to be like you said, glassy/smooth tops. It is very shiny and smooth when it sets up. I have never had an EZ soy candle look like this even when I pour cool. I can get a muted smooth, but not a shiny one.

* no frosting. I know I should be happy, but I purposely tried to make it frost and got a beautiful candle when I poured it hot (top looked good too). Normally pouring hot, it would frost like crazy!!!!

* bubbles. this is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. Again, in using this wax for years, I have never seen this. When I pour and then watch it, it almost looks like a carbonated beverage...tiny little bubbles rising to the top. Most go to the surface, but many are trapped on the side of the jar on the upper inch or so of the candle. I need to try and get a picture of it.

* my pour pots. again, in the years I have used this wax and the same pour pots, lol, it never has done this. Normally when it starts cooling, I would get a skim/film on the top and it would get slushy. This wax does not do that. I get a film that forms on the sides and bottom of the pot and the top does not form a film nor do I get slushy floaties. Granted, previously, I would get wax forming on the sides and bottom if I let it sit too long, but I would always get a little "slush" before that happened. Also, this lot gives me a slick build up on the side of the pour pot as opposed to a chunky/rough build up that I was used to seeing. I hope that makes sense.

I was hoping maybe you had heard something.

BTW, these are not "cold weather" issues on my end at least. It has been unseasonably warm here. 70s and 80s. Plus, as I have said, I have used this wax for a long time...through many-o-winters with this wax and never seen anything like this.

Hey 3bees...have you heard anything back from BC? I recently got some wax (different lot number from my previous) and it is behaving very strangely. It is burning slower (looks to need maybe one step up in wicking). Other things I noticed:

* seems to be like you said, glassy/smooth tops. It is very shiny and smooth when it sets up. I have never had an EZ soy candle look like this even when I pour cool. I can get a muted smooth, but not a shiny one.

* no frosting. I know I should be happy, but I purposely tried to make it frost and got a beautiful candle when I poured it hot (top looked good too). Normally pouring hot, it would frost like crazy!!!!

* bubbles. this is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. Again, in using this wax for years, I have never seen this. When I pour and then watch it, it almost looks like a carbonated beverage...tiny little bubbles rising to the top. Most go to the surface, but many are trapped on the side of the jar on the upper inch or so of the candle. I need to try and get a picture of it.

* my pour pots. again, in the years I have used this wax and the same pour pots, lol, it never has done this. Normally when it starts cooling, I would get a skim/film on the top and it would get slushy. This wax does not do that. I get a film that forms on the sides and bottom of the pot and the top does not form a film nor do I get slushy floaties. Granted, previously, I would get wax forming on the sides and bottom if I let it sit too long, but I would always get a little "slush" before that happened. Also, this lot gives me a slick build up on the side of the pour pot as opposed to a chunky/rough build up that I was used to seeing. I hope that makes sense.

I was hoping maybe you had heard something.

BTW, these are not "cold weather" issues on my end at least. It has been unseasonably warm here. 70s and 80s. Plus, as I have said, I have used this wax for a long time...through many-o-winters with this wax and never seen anything like this.

what you are experincing sounds pretty close, if not exactly what i was. isn't it strange? and like you said, it's not a cold weather thing...this is not my first winter using this wax....i have never had "seasonal" changes with my candles...

my replacement case of wax is "better" but still what i have been used to in the past...it just *boggles* my mind that in Dec my candles were perfect...jan...not so much...how can things change so severely?? it's just not something i am used to...my candles have been sooo well behaved, it's just so odd to me.

islandgirl...no, i have not heard from BCN...i may email them soon if i don't hear anything.