Layering tarts...

Jessica, I'm no expert, but here's what I've done. I melt enough wax for both layers and divide it into what I'll need for the first and second layers. I take the wax for the first layer, add color and fragrance, and pour at the recommended temp for the wax. The wax for the second layer already melted, as it will need to be poured fairly quickly - I poured it when the first layer had started to harden a bit but hadn't yet started to pull away from the sides of the mold. I add color and fragrance to the wax for the second layer, and pour it at about five degrees cooler than what the first layer was poured at. I've only tried it a couple of times, but I've had decent results with it. I haven't yet been brave enough to try three-layer tarts.

I've also only done it a few times....but then again i've only made a few dozen batches of tarts so far, lol. I love to layer though. And I do not have a thermometer yet, ack! So needless to say I get a few that have gotten too cool by the time I get that end of the tray mold.

The only advice I can offer is to make sure there are no drafts- they cool faster than you would think. There is a very fine line between too warm and too cool. (If they are too cool the layers will just come apart- too warm they will blend)

Also if you can, avoid pouring the second layer directly into the middle of the tart. This is where it is the warmest still and the force of the new wax coming down on top of it can cause it to cave.

So just be sure you have everything set up BEFORE you start. You have to be careful and take your time, but at the same time, be on top of everything. If you are using the double boiler method, i'd have two going, rather than switching off. It may seem like you have time to melt your second layer while the first one is cooling, but odds are... ya won't. Cuz when it's ready for a second layer, boy is it ready, and ya can't wait a minute too long.

ONe more thing, I recently read on here, sorry can't recall or i'd give credit where credit is due... but they said when they do layers in their soap they score the exposed surface with a fork before pouring the second layer. They felt it helped the layers to adhere. Makes absolute sense to me and it should work in wax just the same. Also exposing some of the unmelted wax could only act as it's own 'glue' for the next layer. If this is done in the center it wouldn't be noticeable on the outside of the tart.

Having said all this, depending on your mold shape, there is only so much you can do sometimes. Good luck and please post pics of how it turns out:cheesy2: