Shadows on My Ceiling?

I know I've seen something about this somewhere. I noticed this morning, that my ceiling had shadows on it. I tried readjusting the blinds....to no avail.

I believe this is from candlemaking. It seems to fall in line with spackle tape lines...spackle areas (ceiling is new construction).

I guess all that I can do is paint, correct?

I have been making candles in my kitchen for a little over a year. I was doing a doubler boiler, with my oven vent on.

A couple of weeks ago, I got the pot with the spout. I have stopped using the vent as I am not boiling.

Could this have happened in the last two weeks (( I made candles 3x)?

Or more likely, it was there and I never saw it.

OMG...yikes. I'm so bummed.

I guess one option is to only make candles outside, with presto pot...when the weather is pleasant enough.

Anyway, is there any way to prevent this smoky ceiling? Or do you just paint it on a yearly basis? My cabinets seem ok....not sticky or dirty or anything.

Please advise

Eve

I mostly do tarts. This is in my kitchen (where I make candles but don't burn candles), yet not in my Livingroom (where I do burn candles).???

Yes, it can be wiped off with cloth...I just did a dot bec I don't want to make it worse until I decide to clean or paint.

eve

I'm embarrassed to say this but ...the last meal I cooked other than Scrambled eggs was Thanksgiving and before that it was Easter:rolleyes2

Also, I don't smoke....

It is in areas that look like spackle or spackle tape...maybe it was there and I never noticed so regular darkening is more prevalent?

Yes, it can be wiped off with cloth...I just did a dot bec I don't want to make it worse until I decide to clean or paint.

ugh....I think I would op for painting...though...to get paint to stick you may have to clean it anyways...I think it is from making candles/tarts....in my old house I didnt notice until I was moving and cleaning but the inside of my hood had a slight bit of black soot inside...that side of my kitchen just had more counter space and having a flat range I would just cover the counter and stove with newspaper and work...hey got me out of cooking dinner too!!!...lol...no but...that soot HAD to of been from making candles...and I was using a presto pot...not sure if it matters but also I was using parffin too

I have been making and selling candles for over 10 years now, ship lots weekly, and don't have any sooting anywhere. Also test burn in the house everywhere, as well as the shop, and have no problems.

The only shadows I have are in the familyroom from BEFORE I made candles. I used to burn the art glass candles where you fill with oil, and I had alot of them....well, they left shadows on the upper walls(cathedral ceilings);but it's time to paint anyway!:laugh2:

We painted. If it is where the rafters are, there are articles about this...read one at the doctor's office but can't remember what magazine (maybe a 2007 Better Homes and Gardens?). They said it was due to rafters radiating cold down to the sheetrock and then the slight condensation attracts dust and soot. So the fix was to make sure the rafters are covered with insulation and not have it just between them. Now to convince the husband I can make it through the crawl space without having a foot go through the ceiling. lol. Beth

Just because candles are burned in one area of the house doesn't mean the sooting won't end up elsewhere, depending on the air circulation patterns in the house. Does the stuff on the cloth look black like soot or is it another color? All KINDS of things could be causing this situation, including moisture, mold, etc. Try cleaning and repainting - starting with a good sealing primer like Bullseye or Kilz; then follow with a couple of coats of good quality semi-gloss paint (much easier to clean than flat). You gotta clean before repainting or the paint won't stick well! ;) A light sanding helps the new paint to adhere better too.

Good luck! :D

I say if it doesn't smear then it's not soot. Soot is hell to get off. If it's new construction I'd have the builder come back and check out the tapeing job, they may have not used a primer when they painted and the tape zapped the paint like a sponge. Good luck cause it's not the making of candles that put the stain there.