Silicone mold question! Need assistance :)

OK, I bought a new silicone mold that is of a baby block....and it is being a b**ch to wick....I'm stuck between making it hard enough to take a wick and getting good impression in the mold. The block itself is 1.25 inches square. If I use my hard wax (4045), I get a rustic finish and LOTS of pin holes and not a good impression. If I use a softer wax (J50 mixed w/ 4045)...It comes out better....but it still can get rustic....so I've tried heating the mold and it seems a bit better...but of course the wicking gets even harder. My last try was 1/3 J50, 2/3 4045 and 2 tbs. steric per lb. The wicks I've been trying (lx10 and a zinc I've been using for tealights) blew out in about 20 minutes. :(

I'm just looking for something that will work...it is for my sister's baby shower which is in two weeks.... And, I've spent soooo much $$ already that I need to use what I have! Any thoughts for me? I have steric...so I could add some. Is there a max per pound?

I feel your pain! I have been fighting with that darn thing 4ever. I FINALLY ended up using IGI 4761 and a 44-24z to work. I didn't end up with a blowout until it was just about completely burned to the bottom. I tried Astro F wax and an RRD29 and that gave me a blowout. HTH Portia

Are you using the same mold? It is totally a pain...and I guess it shouldn't matter that much....I doubt people are going to burn them...but ya never know. I just want it as best as I can get it...within time and cost constraints :) But they are going to smell soooo good even if they don't get a perfect burn! I got baby Magic from justscents...it is AWESOME. I think I like it more than a generic baby powder scent. :)

I'm using the same mold that you are and "yes" it is a pain. These as I have found are votives that are burned freestanding and need to be treated as that. You have to use a higher melt wax and a smaller wick as to not get a blowout, because just incase they do burn them, you have to be safe. I'm still testing something different with these. Not yet 100% satisfied with any of them......Portia

I've never had a problem making the bb votives, and now I use astro v for them. The only thing is finding a container to burn them in because I never thought burning them freestanding made sense, but each to their own I guess :)