Sweet Vanilla Dry Shampoo/Edible Body Powder

Jadryga

I needed a quick hair fix earlier, so I rummaged through my B&B supplies and made something up real fast. I like it though! Thought I'd share before I forget.

I was eyeballing everything, so this is more of a guideline than a concrete recipe.

4 parts arrowroot powder

2 parts vanilla powder

1 part honey powder

1 part finely ground herbs OR a teeny bit of eo

I used a measly drop of peppermint eo in half a baby food jar of dry shampoo, and that nearly overpowered the whole thing. I probably should've just ground some peppermint leaves, but I didn't have time. I think ground lavender or chamomile would be nice too, but I'm out of both.

Mix well and bottle.

I know it looks like a food recipe, but none of that came from my kitchen... I hoard me spices :embarasse

This smells pretty good as is, but since I have black hair, I also wanted something that wouldn't really scream DRY SHAMPOO in my hair, so I added some cocoa powder to uhh... taste? I used the Van Houten 20% cocoa butter stuff, so maybe it moisturized some too :D Finely ground coffee would work as well, I'd imagine, and be good for deodorizing. Add a touch of cinnamon, mmm! Redheads could try a little red reef clay or ground hibiscus petals.

Rub into scalp well and brush out thoroughly.

I like it so far. It doesn't give my hair that repulsive squeaky, dry feel I sometimes get from dry shampoo recipes with mostly starch. It's absorbs just enough oil to take away the greasy locks look so I feel somewhat refreshed, and gently scent my hair. I've been using vanilla powder in my vinegar rinse to cut the vinegar tang, and I think it adds a little to shine, though I'm not sure.

I'm thinking of adding a little aloe powder to the mix as well next round.

Anyhow, enjoy!

ETA: Forgot to add... if you'd like to make this as an edible body powder, you could probably add a little lip safe mica if you like for shine, or some stevia powder if you'd like it a little sweeter.

I know this is probably a gross question and the answer is probably no... but do you think bugs would be attracted to the residue in your hair? I mean sugar (honey) and starch...

I just remember reading that in the days of Marie Antoinette that they used starch on their hair and had roaches in their up-do's.

I doubt it... I came back much later and noticed a little I spilled by the sink, and there were absolutely no bugs, not even ants. It's very insect-ey here in Malaysia, tropical country and all, and I don't really like ants, so I'm particularly observant when it comes to insects.

I know peppermint repels them, same with cinnamon, so the drop of peppermint eo I added might have something to do with it :)

I also didn't add starch, just arrowroot powder, and so far I've found no evidence of ants liking arrowroot powder. The only thing I'd probably have to worry about is the honey powder, but even that... no takers so far, although with liquid honey, I have to either keep my liquid honey in the fridge or in a little bowl of water like a moat so the ants can't cross.

Once I was horrified to realize that I'd left my little honey castle under an overhanging kitchen appliance, and the ants had climbed up the appliance to the overhanging bit, then dropped down onto the honey jar, Mission Impossible style. Relentless buggers.