House temp. effecting candles?

OK so I haven't been on here for awhile because I have been making and testing candles. I seem to be doing ok. I am not sure if it is just my house (which is really, REALLY cold) (poorly insulation:( ) but when I first light my candle it flickers until it gets a MP of about 3/4 of the jar. There is no soot or smoke so I am assuimg it is not the candle itself. Am I wrong. And should I worry about this. I can understand if it did it constantly it could be a problem. Thanks a bunch!

So is it only drafts that can cause flickering? Because like I said there is no smoking, and no soot on the jars so i am assuimng it isn't a wicking problem. That's one thing I am happy about at least. And I know that even though we don't feel a draft, flame is really sensitive. I was going to try to invent something but not sure how to do it. I would have to leave enough air space and opening for the candle to get air without a draft. Hmm...

Let me point out that I'm a candle newbie - my expertise is soap! But I've been struggling/playing with candles for several months this time around.

I believe that a wick that is too big can also cause flickering, and I think a container that is deep can create drafts of its own - but I'm not sure about that one.

But what you described sounds like what I'm dealing with here in this house (split levels are drafty buggers). Even the bathrooms aren't safe, but there are a few corners that seem to be relatively draft free.

You might get soot on the jars as the level of the candle goes down, by the way - it doesn't seem to deposit on mine for the first half, even though the flame is entirely inside the glass.

I frequently test containers and pillars on my porch, where drafts and breezes are common. I use a large hurricane container (WalMart, craft area, $3.97) in which to place the candle so that it isn't affected by breezes and for extra safety as well. When the weather becomes cooler, the temperature affects the burn - especially when the temps dip below the 50s. Sometimes, wicks do flicker upon startup when it's cold outside. They also will flicker when the humidity is very high or it's foggy.

I live in an old, extremely drafty and poorly insulated house, so unless the AC or heat is on, the humidity and temps inside fluctuate with what's happening outside.

Here's a photo of a lemon-lavender palm pillar I was burning in November... I use the hurricane inside the house as well for pillar safety, to prevent drafts and to protect my cats from going "woof." (the wax in the bottom was from another test - I was too lazy to dig it out).

These particular 'canes are inexpensive and handy. I dunno if it'll solve your flickering problem, but it might help.

lemonlavender4.jpg