Lead In Costume Jewelry

Late Night

Anyone know if there is a test to do on spacers, beads ets.?

In the Fire Mountain catalog they say what their base metals are.

I just got a catalog from Oriental Trading company and they don't say what is in theirs. They don't tell on their website either. My first thought was probably stuff from China. My second thought was probably stuff from China with lead in it. :rolleyes2

I don't remember if jewelry from Michaels tells on their bags or not. I don't have any here right now.

I really don't want to work with leaded stuff. More importantly, I wouldn't want to give it away. Also, if someone asked, I'd have to have a correct answer.

I was wondering if a magnet would be attracted to lead? Anyone know? Of course I don't have a magnet in the house and I don't even know if I have any jewelry with lead in it.

Thank you! I'll check that out. From now on I'm going to buy only from companies who say what metals are used. I hate to because they are more expensive but, I guess you get what you pay for. Plus, I have a bunch of beads etc. and I have no idea what they are made of or where I got some of them.:(

I could be wrong, but I think lead is only an issue if ingested. A lot of metal beads have some lead content, but usually very little. If the jewellery isn't going in your mouth, you needn't worry; only if you are giving it to someone with little kids.

I'm not sure what kind of exposure to lead is dangerous, but using paint with lead in it is illegal and you dont ingest paint. So that leads me to believe there may be other issues. But that isn't my main reason for posting on this thread. After making a great deal of jewelry, I noticed a lil sticker on the back of my stringing material that said, "Contains Lead". I've begun remaking all the stuff I made with this, just to be safe. For the most part none of the string is exposed and able to come in contact with my skin, but I dont want to take the risk. I just wanted to bring this to others attention so they dont make the same mistake.On a side note.....If you have questionable water, there's a system out called Zerowater that removes all contaminates. It's a 4 filter system (britia and Pure are single filter systems) and the water goes through one of the filters twice so its filtered 5 times. I took a seminar on this and it's the best out on the market. Most bottled water aren't filtered, and read higher on the contaminent meter than well and local tap water. Culigan wasn't much lower, and was about equal to brita and Pur filters. It currently doesn't remove bacteria, no filter does, but they are working on getting the patent on that system. You can find them at Home depot, not sure where else. And no I am not affliated with them or Home Depot, just wanted to share the info.

I'm not that worried about me working with it. Although, I have put a small bead in my mouth for safe keeping when re-stringing a piece. :embarasse

I'm more concerned about selling something with lead in it. What I mean is, as a consumer I'm not sure I'll buy a piece with lead in it. So, I suppose I shouldn't expect anyone to want to buy from me if I sold a piece with lead in it or if I couldn't tell them if it does or not.

People with their lawsuits and health issues. You never know when one will bite you in the a$$.

All of this concern coming from someone who still hasn't mastered a simple wrap yet. But I'm working on it!

Thanks for the replys.

Touching materials containing lead can transfer to your mouth. Working with leaded products in stained glass, for example, requires a LOT of attention to the dust created, never smoking or eating while in the studio, etc. Read up on lead in products and you will understand how simply because you don't suck on the jewellry doesn't mean it is safe. ;)

kids put all sorts of things in their mouths - not just stuff that's intended for ingestion. beads are quite tempting...

I think it's great to be concerned - thanks for mentioning it.

Anything that is put in your mouth is a potential danger whether it contains lead or not. If someone chokes, lead or no lead won't matter.