Newbie M&P ?s here

JacquiO

So I want to make soaps. I have so many questions it's hard finding where to start. There seems to be so many wonderful bases to chose from and I've done some forum searching for where to get them so I not looking for help there. But what about mixing bases? Say I want to make a Hemp/Shea/Honey blend. Can mixing your MP bases adversely affect the performance of the soap? Does anyone here regularly do that?

I don't see why there would be any adverse effects by mixing of different bases.

That being said, your best bet would be just to go for it, test it them out, and see if you like the performance of the soap you've made. ;)

There should be lots of good reading here and in the archives if you do a search on M&P.

I have tons of fun making M&P soaps, so wishing you lots of fun also. :D

you can mix bases ~ we do it all the time!! You can mix clear & white ~ specialty bases (like the ones you've listed), you can mix 2 brands of basic white ... just all depends on what you hope to achieve and what the end result is. Take good notes, so when you get what you're looking for, you can re-create it :)

M&P is very forgiving, so if you're not happen with your blend, don't toss it out ~ you can still add other stuff!

I used to buy lots of different bases and mix them. Then I took someone's advice (I think it was Prairieannie) to find a really good quality white M&P soap base and add your ingredients to that.

I have saved a lot of money this way. So now I buy butters and oils I want to add to my base and blend them in when I heat up the bases and melt them down. I have added olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil, oatmeal, herbs, honey, vitamin E, just to name a few. I like doing this much better. And I like making recipes up for my soaps and trying new things.

Don't forget these bases are heavy so shipping costs may be a concern. So try to look for suppliers close by to keep your costs down.

HTH

...Then I took someone's advice (I think it was Prairieannie) to find a really good quality white M&P soap base and add your ingredients to that....

It probably was PA.

I only use LS white & clear now. It makes my life easier, plus I like seeing how far I can go before I end up w/ soft soap :laugh2:

JacquiO, mix til your hearts content! M&P is so much fun & creative!

I believe there's a white "coconut oil" mp base that shouldn't be mixed with regular white mp. I'm not sure who's base is it or what the differences are between regular "white" and "coconut oil" white. Maybe one of the MP experts can chime in here.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm glad to hear that mixing the bases is okay.

Candybee suggested adding your own butters and oils. The supplier wrote that adding oils could affect your lather. It's worth a try I think. I'm brimming with ideas. I can't wait to get in my first order of supplies. I have to sell some old candle stuff first. My hubby's not going to approve of me investing another $150 to $200 into a new expensive hobby.