What is This???

Hope someone out there can shed some light here.

I received some CB 135 from someone going out of the biz. I made up a bunch of test candles. On two of the candles, the tops turned really tan after the first burn and the subsequent burns stayed that way, and I'm not sure why.

The first I used 15 oz of soy, 1oz of Vanilla Velvet and 2 CD 14's in an 18oz apoth. No dye. The other was an 8oz jj w/ 6.5 oz wax, .56oz of Grandma's Kitchen, an eco 10 wick, also dye free. Both burned well and had good mp's. although I didn't get a good hot throw on the Vanilla Velvet. When the mp hardened on both, they turned a tan color. The VV also has some major brown spotting. I added the fo at 175 and stirred both for 3 minutes, poured at 105.

I hope someone can tell me what happened??dunno.gif

TIA

Kathy

Guest meredean

Not sure why it does that , but I was testing that wax and all my tops did that also! I did not like it, it looked dirty...lol

Guest meredean

Nah, its not from that, vanilla turns wax yellowish after time, this is brown after it is lite and sits back up.it's strange!

One of three things:

1. Wick is leaning over into melt pool

2. Too big a wick and it's too hot for the wax

3. Reaction of fragrance oil to heat.

In order of probability, I'd say the liklihood is 3, then 1 then 2 (remote)

Thanks a bunch girls. I wish I could get to the bottom of this. It may be as R.S. suggested that it is a reaction of the fo to the heat. I was also wondering if it could be the type of wax, like a characteristic of the CB 135. I guess I could put some dye in it to hide it. It really does look ugly!!

Thanks so much for the input.

Kathy

Sounds like alot of heat in those jars...try going down one in your wicks and see what happens.

I'll try that, but on the apoth I'm having a very slight hang-up on one side and actually thought about wicking up. Sound like I better not.

Thanks Isbennis. I'll give it a whirl

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

I did testing with both ecosoya advanced and ecosoya pure soy. Both had the brown discoloration when the melt pool hardened. I tried several FOs with the same results. I thought the botanical oils in the advanced may have reacted with the FO and caused this, but the pure soy did the same thing. I haven't seen this problem mentioned very much, maybe it was a bad batch of wax????