New questions about making rustics

OK - have searched through some of the archived threads about making rustics and think I got most of my answers from there. So I am just going to recap to make sure I got it. You know, like in school how you go over your class notes, anyway.....

-So basically... I want to pour at MP temp (which I did with my first 137 for 1239)

-I chilled my mold in the freezer until I poured but I read on numerous posts that you don't necessarily have to. Room temp is ok.

-Keep the mold cold.

-Keep all wax temps the same.

About layers.... do You freeze/chill in between? Pour at a lower temp? Do I still add stearic acid? How much for a pound of 1239?

Here's how I see myself doing it tonight. I am going to do two different colors. Fudge brownie smell. I will melt the pound in one pot, add the scent the separate it and add the two colors, one each to each diff pot. Wait til the wax cools then pour first layer, rock it back and forth a bit...wait for layer to start to set, pour second color and repeat. Maybe tilt this time. How long to I keep it tilted for?

Thanks for all your advice. You all are always so helpful and patient. I feel da luv.... :)

-So basically... I want to pour at MP temp (which I did with my first 137 for 1239)

-I chilled my mold in the freezer until I poured but I read on numerous posts that you don't necessarily have to. Room temp is ok.

The freezer method tends to leave condensation on the mold once the heat hits it. Water and wax don't mix, so there's really no need to chill the mold. IMO.

--Keep the mold cold.
Room temp is fine, particularly in a cool room.
--Keep all wax temps the same.
It's been my experience that pouring a little hotter each time helps the wax adhere to the other layer. That isn't saying that you can't do it all at the same time, just that, IMO, there's less risk of the layer separating with a hotter pour and of course poking relief holes all the way through your layers too.
-About layers.... do You freeze/chill in between? Pour at a lower temp? Do I still add stearic acid? How much for a pound of 1239?

NO on the chill. No on pouring at a lower temp (run the risk of the layers separating.) On the steric? You want rustic, you need some help from the steric for the frost. I don't use 1239. IF it's a straight paraffin, the answer is still 3 heaping T of steric per pound of wax.

The rest is up for you to test for yourself.

OK - have searched through some of the archived threads about making rustics and think I got most of my answers from there. So I am just going to recap to make sure I got it. You know, like in school how you go over your class notes, anyway.....

-Keep the mold cold.

-Keep all wax temps the same.

About layers.... do You freeze/chill in between? Pour at a lower temp? Do I still add stearic acid? How much for a pound of 1239?

Here's how I see myself doing it tonight. I am going to do two different colors. Fudge brownie smell. I will melt the pound in one pot, add the scent the separate it and add the two colors, one each to each diff pot. Wait til the wax cools then pour first layer, rock it back and forth a bit...wait for layer to start to set, pour second color and repeat. Maybe tilt this time. How long to I keep it tilted for?

Thanks for all your advice. You all are always so helpful and patient. I feel da luv.... :)

I'll Try to answer some of these Questions LOL

I never worked with your kind of wax, so not sure on pour temp.

I read alot that pour at 150 degrees. So that's what I do.

Add 3 Heaping Tablespoon of Steric Acid to the lb of wax.

Yes on pouring first layer, rock back forth or circular motion, wait, let set

then pour next layer, swirl, rock back forth or circular motion. and repeat.

as for tilted method, You can use a basin filled with beans, that will hold your containers tilted, you would keep it tilted until the wax is set.

I didn't freeze or chill my molds, room temp is fine. What I did do though,

I did put my mold after pouring, into a water bath half way. to keep my mold cooled and it made it so much easier to pull the pillars out of containers.

I am by no mean an expert LOL But I have studied alot on this Board and I'm so pleased to see and read alot of informations and get great answers from everyone on here.

HTH and please show pictures. My first pillars I made and showed on here, I didn't do the rock back n forth or circular motion, I made like perfect Tilted layered and it wasn't rustic to me. now i know you gotta do the motion to them to get the rustic look. I showed it and I got my answer, so my 2nd one looks much better. :D

gonna keep on trying.

Meg