learning how to make pillars

I have played around with pillars but I want to add these to my list of things to conquere for this year. I made a few palm pillars and just plain pillars trying a few types of waxes. But my questions are....what pillar wax seems to be a favorite and what wicks? By next Christmas I want to be making rustics and mottles, but I want to start off simple. Theres so many waxes out there and so little money to waste, any suggestions would be helpful. Anyone try Pillar of Bliss wax? I'm in Ohio, so I'm looking for close shipping. Thank you all so much...Happy New Year

Favorite wax ought to be what's readily available to you. I don't mean that in a wrong way, but shipping can kill ya if what you like isn't close or easily accessible to you. There are differences in the waxes, so if you get something close to you and learn its perks and quirks, that would save you in the long run. Then again, I know Alabaster was among the ones that used to send samples of wax if you paid shipping. Maybe you could get you a few types and try them without making too much of an investment before starting.

Common wick for straight paraffins are the square braids, flat braids, LX and zincs. There may be more, but I see those the most. You might get a sample pack of each and see which you prefer.