Simple lotion recipe anyone?

I've never made lotion before, but I am considering participating in the Soaper's Choice co-op and would like to know if there's a simple lotion recipe that I can use with the product's soapers choice offers?

I found this recipe on Soaper's Choice, but have a few questions...

Basic Lotion

Ratio is 1 part Emulsifying Wax, 6 parts Oil, 2 Parts

Glycerin, 12 parts water. Add fragrance or essential oil to

your desired scent level.

Example

1 Ounce Emulsifying Wax

6 Ounces Oil (Sweet Almond, Avocado, Apricot Kernel,

Fractionated Coconut, Olive or Rice Bran) 2 Ounces Glycerin

12 Ounces Distilled Water

Fragrance or Essential Oil (recommend 0.2 to 0.4 ounces for

this batch)

Heat the emulsifying wax, oil, and glycerin until wax is

barely melted and cool to 110-120 degrees. Add distilled

water and fragrance or essential oil. Blend with stick

blender or and mixer on low until texture is lotion-like,

pour into bottles.

What is emulsifying wax?

Can I use mango butter in this recipe? If so, what would it be substituted for? I am confused here. lol.

TIA!

Violet

Emulsifying wax is wax binds the water and oils together. You can use any type of oil or butter in a recipe that your heart desires, but you might come out with a different texture if you use, let's say Mango Butter when the recipe calls for oil. If the recipe calls for 6 oz. of oil... tweak it to your own taste! For example... instead of 6 oz. of oil.... do 3 oz. of your prefered oil and 3 oz. of your prefered butter. Or go all out and use the whole 6 oz. of mango butter. You never know what it will come out like until you try it. :)

Yes, when a recipe calls for say 6 oz. oils you can split it up into 3 different oils at 2 oz (which I would do because I like to have as many benefits as possible ;) ) or 2 at 3 oz, whatever you have on hand. That's the beauty of lotion making, you can use virtually any oils your little heart desires! The butters will make for a thicker, creamier lotion and are nice to add IMO.

I'll dig up a few good simple recipes with combos of both and pm them to you Violet. SUPER fun stuff once you realize just how easy it is! And if you're a lotion wh0re like me, it really is inexpensive to make.