I need a suggestion on wick size for mug.

I have posted this question on a couple of other candles site, but no answer. but i know you guys are the best here.:D i got a real pretty fall color mug at family dollar store and wanted to make it into a candle, also get some the straight ones for chrismas later. the cup is little past 3 1/2 " across top and 2 1/2 at bottom, i'm useing ky perfect blend. i tested a 83 this morning, not a full m/p after 4 hrs. tried a 51 z and it done worst than the 83. . i think the 83 htp will work good in the straight ones from walmart for chrismas, they not as wide as this one i'm testing now. thanks for any suggestions.

Think that one might be a difficult one to wick since the bottom of the cup is more narrow than the top. The concern comes in when it starts melting the wax towards the bottom. In order to get the top portion of your mug to melt...it would probably take an HTP-104 or 105, or an LX-28 or 30, or a CD-16 or 18...the problem comes in when you get to the narrower portion of the mug...now the wick is going to be too big and cause a great deal of heat to build up in that area and could cause the mug to break. There's a reason why most candle containers are usually the same size on top and bottom because it becomes a wicking issue if it isn't.

I guess the only thing I can suggest is maybe underwicking it for the larger portion of the mug and hopefully the sides will melt down as the wick burns towards the bottom. Just keep checking the sides to make sure they are not getting too hot. Other than that...I don't know what else that you could do. Maybe someone else has some ideas on this.

Thanks , Fern . to wick up would be to much for bottom is what i was thinking would happen also, the 83htp had a good hot throw and fast melt pool till about 1/4 of an inch round sides, i was thinking it would catch up on second burn. i think i stick a new 83 intoday and let it burn all way down, the flame was good, the throw was good, it just didn't reach a full m/p in 4 hrs. for the christmas ones i think i'll stick to the ones they call straight, top & bottom is same size :)