silicone for wick tabs

For wicking smaller batches of jars I use the GE Silicone II (Window & Door) in a 2.8 floz tube. Since I'm also pouring High temp Glass Glow Palm I made sure that the back panel reads: Not For: Surfaces that will exceed 400 degrees F. There are several brands that make this high temp silicone.

The smaller tube has the tendency of "setting up" at the tip of the nozzle after the first use. I've found that covering it with a pice of saran wrap before replacing the twist cap slows that down.

Guest Candelishis

The smaller tube has the tendency of "setting up" at the tip of the nozzle after the first use. I've found that covering it with a pice of saran wrap before replacing the twist cap slows that down.

Or ditch the cap and stick a nail in the hole. DH is a contractor and they stick nails in their caulk tubes to prevent drying out.

I use Permatex High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket maker (rated for 650° intermittent) from Autozone. It is the only product I have used that has not "leaked" or let go altogether during container powerburns (including high-temp hot glue, wick stickers, glue dots, regular hot glue). I recently tried some wick stickers and won't get them again - had two fail on testers I was powerburning. HTH :D

053107037.jpg

The photo is of a soy wax container candle (with the wick tab secured by high-temp hot glue) after powerburning. Not only did it blow the seal on the bottom and allow liquid wax to be sucked up into the sustainer base from underneath the wick tab (which is why it sucked every drop of wax it could, instead of self-extinguishing at the top of the sustainer base), it let go altogether and wandered over to the side of the container, causing overheating of the glass and sooting. Das why I don't use hot glue no mo'. :D