Just finished testing to the bottom

With GW 464, a 16 oz apothecary, a CD 22 and This Old House (TCS)... NO SOOTING and I burned to the bottom. It never "torched" on me and the melt pool was even and perfect!

I was thinking that since 464 has such a low melt point, maybe it would work to single wick. Yippeee!!! Now, not all scents would do that, I know, but this one was perfect! I'm gonna play with them this year and see if maybe I can have a dependable line to single wick in those jars for NEXT Christmas... the burn time was AWESOME (took a loooongggg time to test).

-Kristi

awww, crap! I knew I forgot something... lol... There was a slight bit of frosty hangup on the jar on the far side of the wick. I cleaned the jar out last night to retest too... shoot! There was the deep part of the apoth (it has like a channel around the edges with the built up middle) and all together there was maybe 2 ounces of wax total left in the jar when I melted and cleaned it back out. There may have been less, but I actually blew it out instead of waiting for it to put itself out. (Hey, I was following my own directions for once lol).

I'll just have to do it again and take pics this time.... :rolleyes2

-Kristi

I may be shooting myself in the foot with this new one... I'm doing Mulberry to see if I can get it to clean the edges! AND I'm REALLY dyeing the wax... 4 drops of red AND 4 drops of black for one pound! I'm tempering the wax by letting it harden all the way with just the color and UV added and then melting back and adding the FO at 160, then pouring...

I figured what the heck... lol...

-Kristi

I was thinking about that, too, so I sneaked a peek to see how much higher the CD series goes - there's a 24, 26, 28 and 30, so if you do need more wick in future applications, there is plenty of room to go up a few more steps. :)

Bet the 30 looks like rope! :laugh2:

AND I'm REALLY dyeing the wax... 4 drops of red AND 4 drops of black for one pound

You've got that "Mad Scientist" thing goin' on for sure! Have fun! At least you can't blow anything up with candles... well, usually not...

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm almost to the bottom of my extra red and black dye, heavy spicy mulberry 16 ounce apothecary with a single wick (cd 22, 464). No sooting! While this works GREAT, you MUST trim the wick down fiercely after each burn. There is some mushrooming, but more than that, the wick kind of unravels as it's burning and the ends stick out. NEXT time, I'm not dyeing the candle so I can take pics of that... with the dark dark burgandy/eggplant color, I'm not able to take good pics of the wick post burn. It left a glazey residue on the sides of the jar (not unusual with 464 anyway- it doesn't leave the glass totally clean), but no hangup. I did normal length burns of 4-5 hours every time, but lost track somewhere exactly how many burns it took to get to the bottom (sounds like a tootsie pop commercial).

IF I could guarantee that a customer would trim the wick to 1/4 inch EVERY time, I could sell this. I'm going to have to experiment what happens when people don't listen though (cringe). I will post pics soon, but didn't take any at the beginning (it burned perfectly to the edge by the time it was down 1/4 from the top).

-Kristi