Mottled soy wax question.

Can a mottled soy candle look exactly like palm candles if it is mostly soy wax in the candle? I have always been under the impression that soy at some point will destroy the crystal effect of palm wax. Is there a soy-vegetable blend that creates a palm wax look a like? One of our local competitors here in Nebraska has just such a candle line and they told me that theirs is a soy-vegetable blend and has mostly soy in it but it sure looks like palm wax crystals to me. They also mentioned that it was a "mottled" soy.

Mike

Hi Mike

I did a google search for mottled soy and a few things came up. This is part of one that I found

Wholesale candlemaking supplies, Natures Garden candlemaking ...100% all-natural soy wax. This wax is for container candles. Environmentally friendly, burns clean, burns evenly. Candles have a natural mottled look on top ...

www.naturesgardencandles.com/mas_assets/ngc/www/import/class-5.htm - 30k -

It starts out here saying 100% soy but the description of the wax says it's pariffin.

Sorry I couldn't help more. :sad2:

I looked at the website and the candles appear to be a blend of soy and palm, which is a soy-vegetable blend.;) Dunno where the "mottled" term came from and am not sure it is applicable... When I have blended soy and palm waxes, the crystals tend to become finer until they disappear altogether. I would reason that to retain the maximum amount of crystals from the palm, one would want to pour much hotter then one would with soy wax - like 185° - 200°F. Have fun experimenting! :bliss: