Soy Colors

Hi beck!

I just ordered some liq. dyes especially for soy from JBN and love them..except red...ugh! I had to use alot just for a 1/2 dozen 8oz. candles.Good thing I only use red when asked..I usually do pink or mauve or cranberry.

Kimmeroo

To answer your question..yes I think it os normal to use alot especially for darker colors.I always add a little black to help get that deepness I need.HTH!

Beck, I have no idea how the liquid dyes that I use from JBN do in a parasoy blend; however I have found them to be very good in the soy and palm wax products that I use.

When coloring soy there are two things to remember:

1. The wax is already an opaque white color; therefore, it will take more dye to obtain a vibrant, vivid color

2. Dyes cause problems in soy, so the less one uses, the better. Although vivid colors can be obtained, one does so at the risk of frosting, wick clogging and other potential issues.

Having said that, the range of the palette available from liquid dyes is large. If a pastel color is desired, only a drop or two will produce excellent results. If a darker value is needed, adding a drop of black or brown will increase the value (grey scale value) of the color - ie. a clear red with added black will become a dark red.

Testing the color of soy waxes on a white or reflective surface (I use the bottom of aluminum can or a paper plate) by dripping a few drops and allowing them to cool will give you a good indication of the final color. HTH :)