Yahooooooo success w/ Palm, but .....

:bliss:

First, I'd like to take a moment to thank the following people for responding to my PMs and providing excellent advice, in alpha order: Celicagtca, Chickie1st, Jeana, & Paulette. Also, a special thanks to HenryK for his outstanding testing of wicks for the palm waxes, found on the old board. Thank you all for helping me to have a successful go the FIRST time. :yay:

I used Palm 3 (candlewic) + 5% veggie stearic + liquid colors + 5% FO + wick pins; so, I'll deal w/ the wick issues later. Poked relief holes & made sure to keep them open while cooling.

I'll post some pix when I can borrow a digital camera.

I LOVE this wax; it is sooooooooo pretty. I screwed up my ball a little doing a repour not knowing it was unnecessary, but no tears for me since it was the 1st one & I really expected them all to be jacked. :D

Just an observation ... the bottom inch (or less) looks slightly different from the rest of the candle. I figure that's because it cooled faster than the rest since the bottom (or top, depending upon one's perspective :wink2:) is exposed to air. Next time, I'll be sure to cover the top right after I've poured the wax.

I do, however, have one question. How do I fill the relief holes w/o spilling wax down the ... er, side of the ball?

You are correct about the cooling and the different texture on the bottom of the candle. I got that in a certain container that was slightly curved downward. To do the fill in, I just made the relief holes large enough and poured right into them. Others might have a better way. If you don't mind me asking, why do you add the veg. stearic?

p.s. good luck on wicking and be sure and post a pic. in the gallery, would love to see it.

Kaybee, based on the research that I did on the board, the veggie stearic is used to aid in mold release. I had read that the manufacturer changed the formulation on the palm waxes, making them near impossible to remove.

Are you using the Palm 3 from C'wic?

It occurs to me NOW that maybe I should have doubled checked w/ Candlewic, but whatchya gonna do when it's the weekend? I just called C'wic but they're not answering the phone even though it isn't quite closing time (well, now it is :wink2: ).

Anyway, the candles came out beautifully. I showed them to a few co-workers & two of them wanted to put in an order! I'm not ready to sell, so I said we should talk about them being testers, or wait 'til I've tested them ... heck, they're not even wicked & the ball doesn't even have a wick hole on top! They sure are purty!

Ok, now I remember now about the discussion about them not releasing. Interesting to hear that the stearic worked well. When I used it, I used the Astorlight Q wax. Made beautiful candles, just couldn't get them to throw well:sad2:

Would be great if you would post a picture, I would love to see it.

Thank you for your interest, Kaybee. I'll post pix as soon as I can, promise! :smiley2: I keep effing them up when I fill in the holes, which, apparently, are two small. I remelted the cinanmon heart and am using a chop stick to get bigger holes this time. This wax is so ... is it brittle? If I just hit it wrong, I break off a corner or something. Sigh, the price of perfecting proper technique for banging out air bubbles. lol.

Congrats on your sucess, palm wax does make beautiful candles! I also make very large holes (3) when filling up my pillars and pour directly into the relief holes. Pour very slowly and give a few seconds to see where the wax will settle. You don't want the re-pour to come up and out of the holes:D BTW, I've found that a little mold release will let the candle pop right out. Candlewic has great info on these waxes under their "use guidelines" on their site. Good luck & post those pictures!