Broccoli oil... strong smell normal?

Jadryga

I just got my package from Garden of Wisdom (yay Markey!)... I'm loving everything but my broccoli seed oil. It smells like a spice packet from an instant noodle brand we have here! I tried covering it up with (quite a lot of) eos... but I ended up blending something that smells like cat pee! I'm really sad, because this stuff really makes my hair shine... but the SMELL! I really don't want to go around smelling like instant noodle spices :( (DH isn't home yet, so I'm going to nip into the shower to get this stuff off before he gets here!)

Is this strong smell normal? I've checked out a long discussion on the long hair forum, but they say it's "light" to "odorless", so I'm wondering if what I have is rancid or something I'll just have to work around. If it's the latter, anyone have any ideas as to what eos would help with the smell?

TIA.

Sent an e-mail to Markey, she said it's normal. "Very pungent", to be exact. Phooey. She recommended trying it at a 10% dilution first. There goes my idea of a pure broccoli seed oil hair serum :( Pity, cos it really does work like silicone.

I've always been one of these people that tries not to waste anything, etc. Anyway, we once steamed some broccoli, and after the water cooled off, I used it to water some indoor plants. After a day or so in a heated house, I thought something had DIED, slowly and painfully, and was now putrifying in the house, but I was damned if I could find it. It was the broccoli water in the plants. Never again. It's not surprising that the oil smells as well, but then why call it "light and odorless"?

Where did you get your broccoli seed oil, LaVida?

Doris, thankfully my broccoli seed oil doesn't smell as bad as your broccoli water sounds... but it really does smell like pungent fermented soy sauce... and sadly my eo didn't improve it. I tried it again today, and I still smelt like cat pee. I thought it might improve once the eos had time to settle, but I guess not...

I have amla powder, but it smells rather fruity...

ETA: OK! I think I might have the answer, though I'll need to run more experiments... I remembered that vanilla powder added to my vinegar rinse helped a LOT with the sharp odor, so I did a rough experiment... rubbed a little vanilla powder into my broccoli seed coated hair. It worked! Sweetened the scent up tons. Now I just need to figure out how to get some vanilla eo/fo to do more testing...

Has anyone tried MMS' "Natural Vanilla Oil" eo?