how hot is too hot

I'm testing 10 oz apothacary jars...APOP, Home for the Holidays, double wicked with 2 HTP52. It's about 1/2 way down. It's been doing great till today. Nice throw, good flames, no soot. But the jar is pretty warm. I know it is going to get hotter as it burns down, but how hot is too hot? The melt pool is at 155* . I tried to get a reading on the glass, but that didn't work.

My research on double wicking gave me anywhere from (2) HTP73 to (2) 104. My first test was with (2) 93's and that was so hot after 2 hours I quit burning it. Am I too cautious?

I've had a couple of container waxes that burned perfectly with 2 HTP41's in a 16 oz apoth. jar. It depends on the type of wax, but I think 2 HTP52's are a good place to start. If your melt pool isn't too deep and you aren't getting black smoke everywhere, then I wouldn't worry and just keep burning it to the end. (and I agree, even though some charts recommend hotter wicks, I tend to go to the more cautious side and pick the smallest wick that'll work for that jar and give a complete meltpool).

DanaE

My main concern w/ jar temp is if it will crack~What type of wax are you using and how deep is your melt pool getting?

Yes, the jar cracking is my concern. The wax is APOP from Alabaster...similar to J223. The melt pool is 1/2 to 3/4" max.

DanaE I really agree "I tend to go to the more cautious side and pick the smallest wick that'll work for that jar and give a complete meltpool" I think it is more important to wick a container for the bottom 1/3 burn. In most containers, the melt pool will catch up. You just don't want too hot a burn at the bottom. I think this is when accidents happen.