Those who make candles as a hobby..

I make candles strictly as a hobby and it drives my DH crazy! I keep about two slabs of straight parrafin wax on hand, (I am getting into carved candles), and then a slab of container wax because I like to "give " my container candles away as gifts. Since you already have a customer base, you may want to keep a few around to compensate for your hobby. I mean, "What are you going to do with all those candles?" (That's what they ask me all the time!) :D It's an expensive hobby, and it would be nice to get some, if not all of the money back that you spend doing what you enjoy, right?:wink2:

What is carved candles?:o

I will keep them in my store front, its a used clothing store that I own, not a "candle store". But as far as the online orders or outside orders, I am wanting to stop. Its like they either will have to buy what I have instock at my store, or wait. I am just to busy with 4 kids, and all their activities, to be able to keep candles in stock at the store, and to do "personal" orders.

You didn't say what type of wax you use, but with soy I still bought it by the case (just 1 case at a time) when it was a hobby. It's simply cheaper to do it that way. Fo's I usually bought in 4 oz or 8 oz if I really loved the scent...I never bought pounds at a time. Since you'll still be selling some in your store, you may find it less expensive to buy the pounds and carry less scents.

Hi, I use soy wax also. I have decided to just order the 1# still, and to cut back on about 1/2 of my fragrances that I offer now.

I know for yrs. I have put customers first in the way, that if I didn't even carry a certain scent that they wanted, I would try to get it for them. This has just gotten out of hand. One lady over a yr. ago asked me for a black licorice candle and I dont carry that scent, but I ordered a small bottle just to make her one and haven't had a candle sell in that scent since. Do most of you just strictly sell JUST the scents you normally carry.?

I don't buy special for a customer for exact reason of what happened to you with the black licorice...now family is different, if they want something, I do buy it, but I know I will have repeat orders from them for the same candle. I'm trying to cut way back on my scents right now. I've got too many, so most are going into a "limited" or "seasonal" category so I can quit using them soon. My plan is to have a regular line of about 25 scents and then just 5 holiday scents...not sure I can scale back that much, but I'm sure going to try.