How much fragrance do you add to M&P soap base

LynnCo

Hi Everyone!

I switched over to Peak fragrances for my M&P soap and I love them. I know each fragrance is different. But, in general, about how much fragrance do you add to your soap base? I notice if I add too much the soap feels oily. I want a highly fragranced soap, but not an oily soap. Does anyone have any recommendations on how much fragrance to add?

Thanks!!

Lynn :D

I use 1/4 oz FO to 12 oz of soap base. That's just me though. My M&P soaps are pretty strongly fragranced.

What M&P base are you using? I use the SFIC bases from Peaks. The base I used was Silk & Shea base from another supplier and even before I added the FO, the soap was oily....tacky & sticky even. So, it could be the base you are using, not just the FO.

Donna

Thanks so much for writing back guys! :D

Right now I am using LOTP base. I plan on switching soon, but I have to use up my supply first. I'm on the east coast. I get my fragrances from Peak but I think shipping would be too much for soap base. Any recommendations of a base on the east coast?

Maybe it is the base that I'm using that makes it feel oily. When I touch the soap I get "soap" all over my hands and feel like I need to wash my hands right away. Is that normal?

I think I was adding too little fragrance to the soap according to you guys you are adding way more. My problem is I do smaller batches so it's hard to know how much to add, I kind of wing it. I use a measuring spoon and a measuring cup. So how much would you say to add to one cup of melted soap?

Hi there, when you say your soap feels oily, are you sure it's not <<sweat>>? That is a very commong thing that is easily fixed. If your soap is sweating it'll feel slick or you might see minuscule beads of glycerin all over making it look fuzzy a bit. Normally I find that is caused by quick cooling or not wrapping it right after unmolding. Do you put the molds in the fridge to cool? If so that could definitely be your problem. Just leave it at room temp to set and then wrap as soon as you unmold.

You can also buy a <<low-sweat>> base.

As for fragrance, I LOVE using MMS's fragrance calculator for all sorts of things. You just pick your product type, how much of it and pick a fragrance (just pick a scent similar to what you are using) and it'll tell you a range of how much FO to add depending on how much product. It doesn't give you <<cups>> of melt and pour but I'm thinking that's probably relatively close to half a pound so probably around 1 tsp. FO for a cup of melted soap.

http://www.thesage.com/calcs/fragcalc.html

HTH!

Melany

You guys are always so helpful. I always know where to go with my questions. Thank you everyone for answering my question. I will check back with the manufacturer...but their site says it should be tested. It only gives out measurements for candles. I will write to them and ask about how much to add to the soap.

thanks again!