CP vs HP WoW

Jo Ann

even tho the two batches haven't even cooled yet...the preliminary verdict is...CP is WAY AHEAD of HP. but i must say tho in defence of this hp batch, it didn't do as well as my first batch, i may have forgot to do something. but still, cp really beats it IMHO

I'd say it depends on your goals and what you consider a success. I prefer to do CP - I like the pretty results plus I cannot stand the cook - but there are times that HP is way better - for example when I have an FO that will not do in CP, or when I want my superfat to be a particular oil. There is a place for both in this world - IMO - and no one is overall better than the other.

oh definitly, hp has it place, i love my very first batch not that i made any other than the two test batches tonight. but i was just so shocked at the difference and it took alot less time to make the cp and it pours so much nicer. i do hate waiting tho. thats the bed part.

I think that HP is a great process as you get to see all the stages and hopefully get a better understanding of the soap making process. That said, I'll take CP over HP any day, but it's great to know as a back up.

For example, if your batch totally seizes in CP. you can often successfully move on to HP. If you've never done HP, that is a deficit, IMO. It's great to know both processes.

e

yeah, i don't want to forsake hp altogether, especially if any of my upcoming experiments to make a sorta m&p don't work out.

i think the sorbital is a key ingredient in m&p because of its emulsifying effects. its used in diabetic candy, antifreeze, cool whip and as a way to clean out overdoses or posionings in the er or icu. throwing up sorbital and charcoal, what a treat that was to clean up. sorbital is also a laxitive cuz it makes things go slippy slidy right out.

but i have no plan to use sorbital

i think the sorbital is a key ingredient in m&p because of its emulsifying effects. its used in diabetic candy, antifreeze, cool whip and as a way to clean out overdoses or posionings in the er or icu. throwing up sorbital and charcoal, what a treat that was to clean up. sorbital is also a laxitive cuz it makes things go slippy slidy right out.

but i have no plan to use sorbital

Thanks, JoAnn, you have been very informative! LOL My dd is terribly sensitive,to any of the sugar alcohols including sorbital. Amazing how many products they use it in. But, no one even the ped. every told me why! :D

On the subject of soap, I probably do 1/2 and 1/2 HP & CP, depending on what I'm looking for. It takes more practice, but I can turn out a pretty nice looking HP.

well, now ya know about sorbitol, our chemical friend.

as for m cp, it was a bust. felt so nice under the wax paper last night, but i took it off and it was mush and still mush this morning actually, its more like night cream.

oh well will read up on remilling. my hp did fine. maybe remill them together and see what happens:drool:

ok, just realized that i used tap water instead of distilled water, what kind of problem will that cause? the soap is now starting to harden.

sigh

but on a good note, just got my log mold and cutting set from frumpyjazz or who ever. really nice set. thought s&h was a bit much, but it was worth, they did a great job of packing it to come through the usps

For me, how quickly the CP hardens depends on a number of factors. What kind and what percentages of oils I used, and what the weather is like. Just give it time. You may be surprised.

it did finally sorta harden, but i remelted it and put some additives in and it harded fairly fast this time, and i just got done cutting it and i will put it away for my use cuz it was only one pound batch. this time, instead lining the mold (plastic) i sprayed it with olive oil and it came right out, no problem. that was probably the wrong thing to do, but it worked great. my new wood mold will be lined tho. ;-)

Jo Ann, there's a phrase that I learned from mentors when I got started "When in doubt, wait it out"

There are so many variables in soapmaking, the weather, temps, humidity, barometric pressure, if you hold your tongue right, standing on your left foot while singing twinkle twinkle little star.

Patience and persistence along with good notes are your friend.

Jo Ann, there's a phrase that I learned from mentors when I got started "When in doubt, wait it out"

There are so many variables in soapmaking, the weather, temps, humidity, barometric pressure, if you hold your tongue right, standing on your left foot while singing twinkle twinkle little star.

Patience and persistence along with good notes are your friend.

great advice thanx!!!!! patience isn't always one of my virtures