Volume of a mold for M&P

Carrie

Is there a formula for M&P, like for CP, to find the volume of a mold. My sister wants to make some layered M&P for Christmas gifts and wants to use my log mold. It is 10.5 x 3 and and she wants the soaps 3/4" thick and 2 inches high. I need to order M&P and need to know how much to order.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks PA. I have very little experience with M&P. It is a 2lb log mold. She wants to do 1/4" layers of white and red scented with peppermint. She saw it in a Marth Stewart magazine.

You think M&P weighs about the same as CP? I would have thought it was lighter than CP but I could be way off. I told her to get 4lbs of each for 3 batches of soap. Also, the non-migrating color from WSP. Is that a good color choice?

I think you'll be pretty safe keeping your soap amount the same as if it were CP. I use one of my molds for both CP and MP, both 4 pound batches, and I do get a little bigger bars from CP made in that mold, but not that much bigger. I thought it was because the MP shrunk a little more.

I'm no help at all on the color. I have never used that particular one.

I believe you will find that you won't need a whole lot of peppermint, depending on which one you use. I make my peppermint soaps with Peaks, and 1/2 to 3/4 oz pp makes a VERY pepperminty bar that lasts and lasts! I'm assuming that most peppermints are on the strong side. Great choice for scent~ I love peppermint soap!

Be sure and tell her to spritz alcohol between layers of soap too!

here's my cheat way of finding out....have no clue about a formula but this works SUPER for me. If its a wood log mold, put in a garbage bag, measure water and pour in to 3 inches high. Just take note of how much water you are adding and thats how much base you need. If you are using a plastic mold, obviously do the same, without needing the garbage bag of course! LOL I know write on all my wooden molds the number of oz in pencil so I don't forget how much it holds. Hope this helps ya...or even someone else. :D

my cheat way is to stick the mold on the scale, hit tare, and then pour in water to find out exactly how much m&p it will hold by weight. If I am doing layers, I simply divide the total weight by the number of layers I want. HTH