HELP! Peaks Pink Sugar

Mozzie

is just sitting in the bottom of my pour pot as I write this. Has anyone out there used this fo and had this problem, and if so, what did you do about it? I'm using 7% in paraffin with 2.5% stearine and fuschia coloured dye chips. Added fo @ 175deg and am now stirring up to 190deg in an attempt to get the darn thing to move. A bit later ... Crisis over. I solved the problem by heating to 195 deg and adding 2% vybar, but would still like others' opinions as I didn't want to add vybar because I'm trying for a mottle and vybar is supposed to prevent mottling (or so I've read).

Some say stir (and stir and stir) until it mixes. I heat to 200, turn off heat, then add FO and stir for two minutes, then add dye.

Vybar will stop the mottle. Found this out when I forgot to add the vybar when making a batch of tarts (1343/J50 blend) and ended up with mottled tarts. :D

Some say stir (and stir and stir) until it mixes. I heat to 200, turn off heat, then add FO and stir for two minutes, then add dye.

Vybar will stop the mottle. Found this out when I forgot to add the vybar when making a batch of tarts (1343/J50 blend) and ended up with mottled tarts. :D

Laura, Do you do this with all fo's or just the Pink Sugar? TIA. Maureen

pink sugar is a tough mixer. i add my fo (all of them, not just this one) at 180-185 and stir until the cloud is gone. it does take a lot more stirring than most fragrances but you should be able to see when it is mixed in.

Maureen - I do this with all of my FO's (I haven't used the pink sugar, but I've used FO's others have had a hard time mixing and getting to throw). I had a hard time getting some of the heavier ones to mix at lower temps. While I was at Candles & Supplies one day, I was talking to one of the reps and she said that heating to 200 gets the molecules in the wax moving faster and helps the binding.(I don't know if the reason is true, but the method worked - LOL) I turn off heat as soon as I add the FO (only at 1 or 1-1/4 oz/lb) cool and pour at 160 and I haven't had a dud yet (some . I experimented with heating to all diff temps and adding at diff temps and pouring at diff temps and this method seemed to work best for me.