ISO Oatmeal and Honey soap

fabulousfunfur

Hi Everyone,

I am new poster here and saw this question and I have a good recipe, so thought I'd reply.

Here's a recipe I created on my own.

Honey Soap Base

Honey FO

Sweet Almond Oil

Coconut Oil - For rich lather

Quaker Oatmeal

Mix the Soap Base, FO, Sweet Almond Oil & Coconut Oil

After cools down a bit mix in the oatmeal. When I pour the oatmeal sinks down to the bottom. I frequently stir it up as its cooling. When its ready to pop out of molds, the oatmeal blends into it and does not seep out of the soap.

Hope this helps.

:D Caellis

Here's mine (the amounts may seem odd due to the fact that the recipe is sized for my particular mold):

Oatmeal, Milk & Honey

Oils:

Olive 31.4 oz (40.05%)

Coconut 19.6 oz (25%)

Palm 15.7 oz (20.03%)

Castor 3.9 oz (4.97%)

Apricot Kernel 7.8 oz (9.95%)

Additives:

Oatmeal (finely ground) 1.6 oz

Honey 1.6 oz

Milk Powder 3.1 oz

Lye 11.11 oz (5% discount)

Water: 24.82 fl oz (5% discount)

Soap Characteristics:

Hardness: 6.0

Stable Lather: 6.3

Fluffy Lather: 4.8

Moisturizing: 6.4

Notes:

Honey is melted with a bit of the measured water and added to the cooled (100 F) lye water.

Oatmeal, Apricot Kernel oil, milk and EO's are added at a light trace, hand stirred and then poured into the mold.

Take care when insulating your mold. The honey tends to really heat up the batch.

Once the soap starts to set in the mold you can then add fresh cut oats on top.

Kimberly :D

Edited to add that the oatmeal listed under additives should be finely ground.

What great recipes!

Thanks to the both of you.........

I think I'm going to use Kimberly's recipe with the amounts......

What could I replace instead of apricot Kernel Oil? (Sweet Almond Oil?)

Is there a trick with the powdered milk?

I like the oats on the top idea........

I usually only make 2 lb (32 oz) batches.......So I'll really need to cut down on the oils......But you think it should still work?

Should i add the honey to the lye water mix, after it's cooled to 100 or should I put the honey in with the water, then dissolve the honey then add lye mixture? :grin2:

Hi there! I think that you would be fine in substituting almond for the apricot. Just be sure to run the numbers through a reliable soap calculator so that your lye number is adjusted to reflect the substitution.

Two pound batches scare me. :laugh2:There is less room for error in your measurements. As long as you are careful and precise in your measurements you should be fine.

The warmed/diluted honey should be added to your lye water after it ("it" being your lye water) has cooled down to approximately 110 F.

I dilute the powdered milk with a tablespoon of extra water in a small bowl. Then in the same bowl I add all of my extra ingredients and mix well. These are the ingredients that are added at trace (milk, oatmeal powder, apricot kernel oil and essential oils).

Here is the recipe that I would use with your adjustments for size and sweet almond oil.

Oatmeal, Milk & Honey

Oils:

Olive 13 oz (40.63%)

Coconut 8 oz (25%)

Palm 6 oz (18.75%)

Castor 2 oz (6.25%)

Almond 3 oz (9.38%)

Additives:

Oatmeal (finely ground) .65 oz

Honey .65 oz

Milk Powder 1.27 oz

Lye 4.53 oz (5% discount)

Water: 10.12 fl oz (5% discount)

Soap Characteristics:

Hardness: 6.0

Stable Lather: 6.3

Fluffy Lather: 4.7

Moisturizing: 6.4

Notes:

Honey is melted with a bit of the measured water and added to the cooled (100 F) lye water.

Oatmeal, Apricot Kernel oil, milk and EO's are added at a light trace, hand stirred and then poured into the mold.

Take care when insulating your mold. The honey tends to really heat up the batch.

Once the soap starts to set in the mold you can then add fresh cut oats on top.

There ya go! Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Siberia

You have been SOOOOOO helpful. Thankyou so much!!!!!!

You have given me great ideas. I am going to make that batch this morning.....I will send pictures in a few days when i cut it.

Can I ask why you chose those amounts for the lye and water?

Normally when I make a 2 lb batch, I use 10 oz water and usually 7 or 8 on the lye percentage......I am going to use the 5 for your recipe....

What will the difference make compared to my other soaps I've made.....Ha ha...I'm talking like a professional. I've made 2 batches of soap before!!!

What kind of soap do you usually make?

Would you happen to have a good tea tree oil soap? Or tea tree oil Shampoo bar?

I want to make another recipe with soymilk......slushy before the lye is added. What do you think???

Thanks for all your help! :grin2:

You're more than welcome! I can't wait to see the pics. One thing that I notice with this recipe is that the fresh soap smells a bit more doughy than honey. As it cures the honey smell takes over. It's so nice!

My lye and water calculations are based on a 5% discount on both the lye and the water. I like to take what I consider to be a reasonable discount on both parts of the equation to help speed up drying/curing. I know that there are those that take much bigger discounts but I am not comfortable doing that.

I make all types of soap. I tend to stick to a more natural recipe, favoring EO's over FO's and I love playing with various additives. Milk soaps are a particular favorite of mine.

The soy milk soap sounds nice! I have soaped with just about every milk out there but that one. I'm dying to get my hands on some sheep's milk as I've heard it makes a lovely conditioning bar.

I have not tried a tea tree soap recipe yet. I've heard that it is best to use the tea tree oil as part of a blend with other EO's in your recipe as opposed to tea tree alone. Tea tree is definitely a sensitizer and can be an issue for some people.

Since you said you use milk alot in soaps, do you find that they curdle when lye is added? If so, does it all work out in the end?

I made the oatmeal soap yesterdayst ....all went well but the powdered milk combined with water curdled even though the 'milk' was slushy.......but it ended up being just fine..........The soap looks so creamy. This is the first soap I added milk to.

I bought vanilla soymilk today. I'm going to make 'Soymilk and Vanilla' soap....with Vanilla FO, or EO.

Should you totally substitute water for milk? Or should you only add so much milk to a recipe as well as water?

:grin2:

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you...it's been a long week of no sleep watching the world series. Whew, I am so glad that is over with.

Anyway, the milk can curdle when added to the lye mixture. I have never found it to be a problem in the end though. I just make sure to keep stirring the curds down to make the lye solution as smooth as possible and then once added to the oils, I blend the heck out of it.

I've done a full milk replacement as well as 1/2 water 1/2 milk. Be sure to freeze your milk, particularly if you are doing the full substitution. The one exception to this for me is coconut milk. While not a true milk in the dairy sense of the word, it can still react weird with the lye. I like to warm coconut milk prior to adding to the lye/water mixture to help it blend easier and keep the curds at bay. :D

Well I made a recipe with Soymilk finally. Oh my Goodness!

It is to die for!

It was a vanilla soymilk, and I added a vanilla fragrance oil at trace.

It is for sure my favourite soap I've made! I was really surprised it didn't curdle, but I really made it slushy in the freezer before I added the lye.

I don't know how to add a picture, as it's not on a website or anything....

Do most soaps take 3 weeks to cure? How do you know if it's ready?

I haven't seen sheep's milk anywhere....Is it hard to come by? :grin2:

Well I made a recipe with Soymilk finally. Oh my Goodness!

It is to die for!

It was a vanilla soymilk, and I added a vanilla fragrance oil at trace.

It is for sure my favourite soap I've made! I was really surprised it didn't curdle, but I really made it slushy in the freezer before I added the lye.

I don't know how to add a picture, as it's not on a website or anything....

Maybe you could get a account at Image Shack or one of the other free photo hosting services. I would sure like to see your soysoap!

Do most soaps take 3 weeks to cure? How do you know if it's ready?

My rule of thumb (and everyone has their own) is three weeks for personal use, six weeks for market.

I haven't seen sheep's milk anywhere....Is it hard to come by? :grin2:

I haven't been able to find any yet. I need to find myself a sheep farmer and make friends. lol