what it all means

Jo Ann

thanx scented, i worded that last one wrong.

but can you tell me the main reason for using heavy oils like crisco and lard? i can understand shea, mango and coco but only because their ability to moisturize, but what about the other solid oils? so far i haven't found an anser to that. its easier for me to do things if I understand the why and wherefor

You know, make a lard soap. I now add it, but thought eewww before I finally did. Lard has a lot of conditioning properties and actually feels good! I imagine Crisco isn't much different. I haven't used the crisco and don't think I likely will. Too me there's enough similarities that I wouldn't put them both in a batch.

thanx scented, I appreciate the links, will print them out and put them in my notebook.

thats what i am doing now, reading printed out stuff, pllus i have all my ingredients and utensils ect all ready to go for tomorrow.

if the only thing that happens is a soap i can love and live with, it will all be worth it.

if the only thing that happens is a soap i can love and live with, it will all be worth it.

Read and reread what you printed off Miller's site, find Robin's tutorial and eugenia ran a class for beginners. All of these will be good for you to go through several times. Just a suggestion -- jump in with a recipe and make it. If it's your first batch I don't think you ever get completely comfy till it's out of the way. I started with a recipe someone was kind enough to share, miraculously got all the materials together (using the lack of them as a reason to never make soap lol) and after that first batch (which I'm among the few here who hated soapmaking early on), made another. Then made another. I learned you can't just toss in some mango to make up for being short of whatever oil I was short of that day without recalculating. Batch turned out fine, but I still hated soaping.)

I was in pursuit of the lovely bubble and wanted more and more and more so I learned to calculate, make and make more mistakes. So you learn as you go is what I'm getting to I think. I never became a full-blown soap lover (though I'm getting there now.)

You can read till your blue in the face or seeing double, but if you put the ingredients together then you can see what they do and get a better feel for your combination and you can try other oils etc.

you are right about re-reading and stuff. some tips i plan to use that i read are mixing the lye and water outside. i have both asthma and emphysema. so i can let it sit out there till it clears and i melt my lard and mix my oils.

and of course, not put my EOs in with my face over the pot. that would probably kill me. LOL

and my next research is going to be an oil that is high in cleansing AND conditioning so i can use a little less coconut oil and a bit more that....oh yeah and it has to be affordable. unlike EOs. seems like jewelry, i like the really expensive stuff best....sigh:embarasse