Wicks, MP, and Hotness of Container

Hi all, I really need your help b/c I’m currently using GL 70/30 wax in a balmoral jar (3.25” in the middle and 1.5” near the bottom). When I use the ECO 8 wick it does okay; the scent throw is good (my husband smells it, but I can’t) but it usually leaves a thin wall on one side of the jar after I burn it for 3-4 hours even after my third/fourth burn. When I use the ECO 10 wick it does a great job in providing a complete melt pool and hot throw. However, with the ECO 10 the glass gets pretty hot after I burn it for about two or three hours ( for instance, I would have to hold the container from the bottom b/c holding the top is hot) . So, my question is it normal and safe for container candles to get hot like that? I really want to use my ECO 10 b/c it’s giving me such a great melt pool and hot throw; with my ECO 8 it’s giving me a decent melt pool and hot throw but, again, it’s not burning all the wax on the side of the container even on my third burn. I use 6% FO pp of wax. FOs are from GL and CS. TIA :D

What about the size of the flame and sooting? People have different ideas of hot so it's hard to tell just from your description, but you want to see a pleasant flame that doesn't look to big for the size of container. If the flame gets too tall or starts to whip around and make puffs of soot, then the wick size isn't quite working out.

Of course you have an extra challenge here with the shape of the jar. You really have to burn the whole thing. Even if your ECO 10 is working out at the top you have to make sure there isn't a smoldering inferno when you get down to the bottom and the narrow part of the jar.

Hi Topofmurrayhill,

the flame for both the ECO 8 and ECO 10 has a pleasant flame size. I haven't experienced any soot, although I there's some mushrooming on both ECO 8 and ECO 10. These jars are so frusturating!! I'm making these for my friends and families and have bought a number of them. I'm going to switch afterwards...ugghhhhh:(