figuring percents

snow

I was reading all the advice to newbies, and I still consider myself a newbie. Still learning something everyday. So what is a simple way to figure out percentage? I am not good with math and probably not alone, so when a formula says add 1% to your wax, what is the formula? And is 1% fo to 1#wax 5%? I think a lot of newbies need to understand this, but I can't explain it, I'm sure many of you can tho. So please help us out! TIA

Most hand held calculators will figure the percentage for you. Look for the calculator that has % symbol. Simply punch in: 16 x 1% = and it will give you an answer of .16. If you don't have a calculator, multiply: 16 x .01 and you'll get the same answer of .16

If your scale only goes 1 place after the decimal, round the answer off. In this case, .16 will round off to .2

By the way, 1% fragrance to 16 oz oil won't give you a very scented candle. 6% is the norm and sometimes I'll use 7 or 8%-depends on the strength of the scent.

1 oz oil to 16 oz wax is 6%.

I always use 1oz or more in my candles, but what I'm not getting is...if a recipe calls for just say 2% of a certain additive in 1# of wax. So you would take 16 x .02= .32 but how much is that? Is that grams? The answer is what I'm not understanding, I guess.

There's no such thing as percent per pound of wax. That's mixing up two different ways of doing things.

Percentage formulas refer to the percentage of the candle. For example, the candle could be 6% fragrance, 2% additive and 92% wax (add those up and it comes out to 100% of the candle). If you were making a 10 oz candle, that would be 0.6 oz fragrance, 0.2 oz additive and 9.2 oz wax.

Snow, since you're converting your 1# wax to 16 oz, the .32 will also be in oz.

And Top is right. After figuring your additives, you will then subtract that from 16 oz to give you the amount of wax you will use.

16.00 oz

- .32 oz additive (2%)

So you will use 15.68 oz wax and .32 oz additive. That will give you the 100%.

Snow, since you're converting your 1# wax to 16 oz, the .32 will also be in oz.

And Top is right. After figuring your additives, you will then subtract that from 16 oz to give you the amount of wax you will use.

16.00 oz

- .32 oz additive (2%)

So you will use 15.68 oz wax and .32 oz additive. That will give you the 100%.

Thanks all, but I'm not so concerned about the FO, I pretty much have that down. Heres an example of what I'm trying to figure. Making canes....add 3%mico to 1# of wax. Comes out to be .5oz mico (1/2oz) Right so far? So if I use 3# of wax do I add 1 1/2 oz of mico? And still use 3#'s wax? Or subtract the 1 1/2 mico from the 3#, or is it 1 1/2oz at all? Thats what I'm trying to learn. Hope I'm explaining this right. But that light just hasn't come on in my head yet. Old age, maybe!