Newbie armed with supplies

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a while, and recently joined and introduced myself about 2 weeks ago. I haven't made any candles yet, but I am gathering the supplies I think I need.

I have ordered a presto kettle with spigot. I had actually bought a presto kettle at Walmart for about $25 less, but thought better of drilling the spigot myself.

I also followed the link to find a candle supplies dealer near me (thanks for that link) and ordered:

10lbs soy wax

Stearic Acid

UV Inhibitor

Vybar

3 scents(1 oz each)

Wick assemblies

3 pillar molds

Soy dye

100 wick tabs.

Once my presto kettle arrives, am I set? I plan to make pillars. What else does anyone think I should have before I begin? Forgot, I also have a fire extinguisher (actually I have several), and will never, ever, have the presto above 200.

Any thoughts on what I might need before I take the plunge?

Thanks very much,

Matt

First, if you want to make Pillars you may want to get a harder wax. Soy is mostly used for jar candles, and in most, you won't need any additives. 2nd, you will find you will want more f.o. unfortually, in time soooo much more! The 1oz. won't get you to far. Once you can join the classies, you can find a lot there from alot of great people.You really might want to get a small and large pouring pot starting out, and most defiently a scale and themometer. Hope this helps some. Kim.

First, if you want to make Pillars you may want to get a harder wax. Soy is mostly used for jar candles, and in most, you won't need any additives. 2nd, you will find you will want more f.o. unfortually, in time soooo much more! The 1oz. won't get you to far. Once you can join the classies, you can find a lot there from alot of great people.You really might want to get a small and large pouring pot starting out, and most defiently a scale and themometer. Hope this helps some. Kim.

Okay, that stops me in my tracks. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like for my molds that I bought I need to get some parafin wax, and for my soy wax that I bought I need to get some containers. Any other items that I need to get?

Sounds like for my molds that I bought I need to get some parafin wax, and for my soy wax that I bought I need to get some containers.

Hold up there. What KIND of soy wax did you order? There are many different brands and formulations...

The vybar is not generally used with vegetable waxes.

Lots of paper towels,

That's the understatement of the year :laugh2: I went with cheap dollar store hand towels and then placed an order with the paper mill in Richmond to keep the trucks rolling in.

The towels have helped a lot, and they are cheaper then a roll of paper towels, because i can't stand the el cheapo towels

Unless you have a steady hand and a good eye, I would add the EZ wick setter tool to make sure the wicks are on center.

I would also add the wick centering tool to keep the wick straight after you pour them. I find these easier that popscicle sticks.

Now I use the popscicle sticks to scrape the wax off of the centering tools, clean excess wax off my counter and floor.

Dawn

Hold up there. What KIND of soy wax did you order? There are many different brands and formulations...

The vybar is not generally used with vegetable waxes.

Stella,

I bought "Ecosoya CB Advanced" Soy Wax from an outfit in Durham, North Carolina called CandleScience. Oddly enough, they do make soy wax that is intended to be used for pillars, but unfortunately I did not buy that kind. So, when I take my presto kettle back to Walmart (I originally bought one without a spigot), I will buy some Mason Jars. I called the company today and was directed to the place on the website for the specifications for the wax. I was also told to use about 3 to 3 1/2 inch diameter jar.

Now I need to figure out what to do about wicking, which I am somewhat confused about. SoyCandleQueen recommended an EZ wick setter tool. CandleScience sells a wickbar, which probably is about the same thing. So, I will buy that. They also mentioned a glue gun. Is that what I use, and glue the wick to the bottom of the jar? I have never used a glue gun before. Any recommendations?

I also plan to buy some of the soy wax made for pillars; or should I stick with parafin wax for pillars?

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help!

Matt

SoyCandleQueen recommended an EZ wick setter tool. CandleScience sells a wickbar, which probably is about the same thing. So, I will buy that. They also mentioned a glue gun. Is that what I use, and glue the wick to the bottom of the jar? I have never used a glue gun before. Any recommendations?

I also plan to buy some of the soy wax made for pillars; or should I stick with parafin wax for pillars?

Matt, the Wicksetter is a centering device that is very kool, but once the wick is centered and stuck to the container (more on that in a minute), you need something to keep the wick centered at the TOP after the wax is poured into the container. That's what the wickbars do. Some folks use popcicle sticks and clothespins for this. Others use bow-tie wick bars (I like these). The main thing to look for there is something that will hold the wick taut and centered while the candle cools.

I used high temp hot glue for a while and it doesn't cut the mustard in my experience. I am currently using High-temperature RTV Gasket maker/sealer from Autozone. Other folks use adhesive dots called Wick Stickers (NOT glue dots, which are useless in this application). They work very well. The main thing is to use a product that seals the bottom of the sustainer base on the wick assembly and holds it where you put it even when there is a full, hot melt pool at the bottom of the container. If the seal breaks, the wick will pull liquid wax into the wick and continue burning as long as there is wax in the container - very dangerous! A seal breaking also means that the wick assembly can move in the molten wax - BAD idea! The wick stickers are the easiest product for this purpose, especially when just starting out.

I have read good things about the Ecosoya PB wax and I have a sample which I haven't tried yet. The NatureWax P1 is a mother to work with, so I am hoping that the Ecosoya is kinder and gentler.

Ya don't have to return that Presto... a spigot is NOT necessary! None of ours have spigots and ladling into pour pots works just fine for us. If I were making LOTS of candles all colored and scented the same, I would use a spigot, but I generally break up a 7# batch into several different pour pots so I can make different scents and colors from the same batch of wax, so it doesn't save any time for me to use a spigot. :wink2:

CandleScience is one of the better suppliers in the country IMHO. They carry some great stuff and have good prices.

Have you gotten your scale and thermometer yet? :wink2:

Soon you'll be havin' more fun than is legal in most states! :D

Heck, Dawn, if you can pour right from the Presto into the pouring pot without spilling, I say go for it! Saves a step! :D When the Presto is full, it is a little heavy for my wrists; I might could control it well enough, but I am too chickensquat to risk a booboo, so I ladle until it's below half full before I grab the handles and freepour. Perils of getting old and arthritic, but it's an easy workaround for my fellow limp-wristed wimps. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Heck, Dawn, if you can pour right from the Presto into the pouring pot without spilling, I say go for it! Saves a step! :D When the Presto is full, it is a little heavy for my wrists; I might could control it well enough, but I am too chickensquat to risk a booboo, so I ladle until it's below half full before I grab the handles and freepour. Perils of getting old and arthritic, but it's an easy workaround for my fellow limp-wristed wimps. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

And who said anything about not spilling it? :D:laugh2: I should be taking stock in popscicle sticks. :laugh2:

I know what you mean about arthritis. I have that in my left thumb and tendonitis in the rest of those fingers. Thankfully I am not in "full-time" production and only pour about 3 pounds at a time right now.

Dawn