microwaving wickless candles

I'm just wondering if anyone has promoted this to customers, or heard of this? I had a gal buy a wickless from me a few weeks ago & then wanted to returned it because it smelled burnt. I test my wickless candles and i know it wasn't "burnt" smelling when it left here, so i asked her what she melted it on, etc. and she told me a gal selling soy candles somewhere else had told her you could microwave your candles so the wax gets melted faster. :confused:

Am i wrong to think that it was the microwaving that "burnt" my candle? I mean i don't know how long she microwaved it.. or did i do something wrong making it?

I microwave the soy before i pour candles once in a while when i only want to make 1-2 candles for a small order, but i do it on 1/2 power and constantly check and stir-plus, it is in flake form so i can do that-whereas when it's in your jar you can't really stir it up.

I'd like to hear any feedback-good/bad...

Thanks!

Heather

Heather I don't suggest using microwaves to melt wax for pouring candles because there is no way to regulate the temperature. It does not surprise me that your wax may have been "burned" in the microwave. I have used mine only a few times to melt out some leftover wax from a jar and it makes me waaaaay nervous as the glassware heats up hotter then I have ever experienced from burning one of the candles.

I know there are a lot of folks who use their microwaves for melting wax, but I think it is a bad idea.

I've only done it once or twice-this is instructions from a candle supply store....

"Melting Soy Wax: You can melt soy wax in the microwave or on a stove using the double-boiler method. If you use the microwave, place desired amount of soy wax in a large glass Pyrex cup. Melt on medium temp. in short intervals. It's a good idea to melt it 1 minute at a time. The time it takes will depend on your microwave and the amount of wax you're melting."

I've seen those instructions on more than 1 site.. I guess that's why i asked..

the particular candle in question was NOT melted in the microwave by me-just so you know. it was only microwaved by the customer...

I guess maybe my question should be is what do you tell that customer about melting their candles in the microwave?

I guess maybe my question should be is what do you tell that customer about melting their candles in the microwave?

It is up to you as to whether to replace the "candle" - I think that I would, but I would never recommend using a microwave to melt wax, and the warning label should state that.

If a wickless "candle" is to be used on an electric melter, then people should use it that way. If they cannot wait for the wax to melt, their "candle" contains too much wax, their melter is too feeble or they should develop more patience.

Personally, I do not like the idea of "wickless candles." Melts and tarts are one thing, but a big ol' container full of hot wax is quite another... just my opinion...:rolleyes2

Thanks for the replies Stella!! I never even thought to put that warning label on my wickless candles-because i never thought about putting it in the microwave to get it started. I won't be using the micro to make any more candles after this experience. I did replace the candles, with the "warning" not to micro it, and will be changing labels-which probably won't get read...

and as for wickless-people around here have been melting their "wicked" candles for years-even Yankme & GC types... and "fishing" out the wick... seems they like the "safety" of the melting instead of the flame-i know it's not necessarily any safer-but, i gotta go with what sells. to each their own!!

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!! I knew i could find the answer on this board!!

:yay:

What is the benefit of melting a candle in the microwave?? I know you can use the microwave on some of the store bought candle kits, but not to melt an already made candles. That is dangerous trying to pull a candle that is melted out of the microwave to sit on the counter. I am starting to think anyone wanting to get into candlemaking needs to get a license.

What is the benefit of melting a candle in the microwave?? I know you can use the microwave on some of the store bought candle kits, but not to melt an already made candles. That is dangerous trying to pull a candle that is melted out of the microwave to sit on the counter. I am starting to think anyone wanting to get into candlemaking needs to get a license.

HeavenScentU-that's exactly what i was thinking. The customer told me some candlemaker she had bought from in a nearby town had told her to do that to "quicken" the process-instead of waiting for the melter to do it for you. :confused:

I do warm up my soy very occassionally when doing small projects, but only on 1/2 power and i stir frequently. apparently microwaving soy wax is a "touchy" subject-:embarasse seems like some of these places that sell soy wax actually tell you that it can be warmed in the micro.

in light of this circumstance, i'm going to stick with my electric presto so i know it isn't going to get burnt on my end. then there's no way the customer could think it was something i did.

and yes, i agree a person needs a license & definately good insurance. :D

All I can say is wow lol. I know some people do melt wax in the microwave while making candles, but never heard of anyone doing so as a customer to get it started. My wickless candles are in tins, so I would hope no worries there, but my melts (tarts) melt pretty quickly on their own and give off scent fairly quickly so can't imagine needing to :confused:

Shelley,

I'm glad i'm not the only one who hasn't heard of it. I thought I was out of the loop. It doesn't take all that long to melt a wickless candle, and if you're that impatient, you should be melting "wax melts" instead-in my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies!!:highfive:

I was melting soy in my microwave to make my candles for a while, because I'd heard it was 'ok' elsewhere, but one day my pyrex blew up inside of it! I will NEVER do that again. Luckily the microwave didn't blow, too.

I don't really like the idea of wickless candles, after I've read some of the stuff people have experiemented on here. Occasionally people will ask me if they can use mine as wickless candles for electric burners and I tell them I don't advise it. I wish I could get my server issues down so I can edit my website, because at one point, I had stated that if people wanted wickless, to let me know when they order. I want to take that off and put a warning on it about using my candles as wickless ones. Except for tarts and melts, of course.

I can't imagine why any chandler would tell their customer it's ok to get their wickless candles started by popping them in the microwave, either. Wow! If a pyrex container with soy and no FO can blow up, think what a scented glass candle would do!:embarasse