Adding extra oil at trace

Avrilon

Hi experts :)

I'm making my first batch of soap tomorrow (on my own) and have picked out a recipe that I like. I've taken a soaping class and have done the basics, but want to make sure I'm doing this right. The only thing different about this recipe is that it calls for castor oil at trace when I also add my FO's and additives. I've not seen adding oils at trace before and want to make sure that's "normal". The book calls it "superfatting", but I've not seen it done this manner before. But, I am a novice. Here is the recipe for a 2# batch:

4 oz. shea butter

8 oz. almond oil

10 oz. olive oil

10 oz. coconut oil

---

4.8 oz. lye

12 oz. water

---

At trace, add:

2 TBL castor oil

2 TBL ground oatmeal

FO of choice

Does this look okay? I really appreciate any input and I know we newbies must drive you experts batty with our questions. :confused:

Thanks,

Avrilon

First save yourself the effort of "superfatting" and add your oils to the mix at the beginning. Most of the saponification happens in the mold AFTER you've mixed in the extra so no need to hold off.

Typically I "superfat" by simply having a "lye discount" of 5-6% in my formula. What you have done is generated a 0% lye discount and add the extra oil at the end.

If you forget that extra oil you aren't going to be happy. In fact, even if you remember it, you only have enough in there for a 2% superfat/lye discount which is a very low margin of error, and almost no free oil and you will quite possibly have a very drying soap.

I recommend that you add your castor right to the recipe (2T = about 1 oz) and run it through soapcalc.com with a 5% lye discount. Then mix all the oils and butters right at the start and go to town.

As for the oatmeal, others may be able to recommend how to get it to mix in smoothly. I've not worked with that in AGES.

Thank you, CareBear; your way makes much more sense to me and is the superfatting method that I am familiar with. I just wasn't sure how to make the adjustment. I've got lots to learn, but am excited to finally get started.

:)

Avrilon