Christmas party ideas

TwinMom

Mistletoe, for sure. And then how about some white poinsetta's to go with the black and white theme? And if you want to have it fancy, I hate to say it, but ditch the paper products like paper plate and cups and go for the real thing.

I would use small mirrors as votive or tea lite plates. I wouldn't use any bigger kind of candle except for maybe in a center peice that won't be reached over or leaned against etc.

I've always liked the idea of the white Christmas lights in a big glass vase of potpourri, glass rocks, jumbo rock salt etc. Maybe top it off with gmp's suggestion of white poinsettias. For a fancy party, I'd try the jumbo rock salt idea and rinse it for the wet glass/ice effect but not color it at all. Maybe put some floater candles or voitives, etc in a rectangular holder and fill it with glass rock or rock salt. (to look like candles on ice) You could do the same with the water crystals too.

Another idea I've always liked is to buy the basic clear Christmas ornaments/balls and insert a white Christmas light into it. Do this at intervals of about every 4 lights on the light string- more or less depending on how big the ornaments are. You can aslo fill these clear ones with potpouri or fake Christmas snow or maribu feathers. My mom does birds on her tree so she uses the feather idea and snow. It's very elegant and clean looking. I do more of a forest/woodsy theme that is less 'soft' so I use potpourri in the clear ornaments. You can hang them ANYWHERE. It's a nice touch and a nice surprise to have just one or two tucked into a houseplant, suspended from a chandelier on invisible fishing line, etc.

I also love cardinals at Christmas time - you could incorporate this into a red and white theme that would go great with your black tie affair. Red feathers, red and white poinsettias, white snow, white and or red candles, white lights... sounds lovely to me!:yes:

And if you want or have to use paper plates and plastic cutlery go with solid colors for the plates and napkins and clear silverware. Keep your colors dark and simple. :D Hope it turns out great and remember to just enjoy your own party!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots and lots and lots and lots of red poinsettias. "Black tie" doesn't necessarily mean a black and white theme, so add a real punch of color with tons of red poinsettias in varying sizes. In front of the fireplace if you have one, on your steps if you have some, on the buffet in your dining room. Just everywhere!!! Oh, what fun to have a great Christmas party. We'll be having one, too, a week earlier but not formal. I can't wait!! santa chee