Chemistry store lip balm base

Casey

I bought some this past summer, and it's definitely grainy. I got no smoothness or any kind of good feel from it. I tried working with it with several additives and variations but just couldn't do anything with it at all. Nothing I did seemed to make it come close to what I would expect from a lip balm, so I tossed it.

I love the bases at Soaper's Workshop--all of them. The flavor oils from there are great, too.

Recently, I started making my own base from a recipe I found here in the recipe section. I've altered it a bit and like the results, so I might just stick with doing my own. Perhaps if I had a lot more experience, I might have been able to do something with the CS base, but I really did try at least 6 or 7 different times to make it perform to my satisfaction. However, I had used all of the SW bases prior to that, so I was spoiled.

If you are not inclined to make your own, you can't go wrong with SW.

• 3 years later...
Guest Expressive

Old thread but I just tried theirs myself before Christmas and it seemed grainy as well even after using a few tricks.

I also just didn't like their base as a whole. If you have tried it, let me know what you think.

The process was hurried as I had less than a week before I had to ship them as gifts for the family. Being a guy, I don't use lip balm often but from what I tested on myself, I was not impressed.

That was my first time using a lip balm base but I think there are other places out there and I am open for suggestions especially since theirs did not have beeswax.

I did just order a small amount again to test but I have a feeling I wasted my money.

INCI: Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cocoa Butter, Octyl methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate , Shea Butter, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E

Edited by Expressive

Those are some strange ingredients for a lip balm! I have the bace from Bittercreek and it's fantastic! No graineness (sp) at all! Nice and smooth, and als makes a great lotion bar! VERY reasonable priced also. Try it! There have been TONS of raves for it on here, which is why I decided to try it out. Eventually I'll get to making my own, but I wanted to try this base out first.

HTH!

Guest Expressive

The reason for some of the ingredients is because it has an SPF rating of 15.

I just realized a few weeks ago BCS is near me so I will pick up some to try when I go down.

I too will make my own but I like to get an idea of some finished products before I go down the road of my own formulas.

Edited by Expressive

Guest Expressive

You can claim the SPF rating since they have gone through the steps as long as you do not alter the formula beyond FDA guidelines but for most, it is best and safer to just stick to a cosmetic rather than a drug.

That really doesn't matter to me because if I find a good version and like it, I will add my own sunscreen and submit it for approval at a later time. I just want a decent product to base off of.

Also, what ingredients are in the Bittercreek natural lip balm? They don't seem to have it on the BCS website.

Edited by Expressive

Guest Expressive

Well I have seen people that don't want beeswax in their lip balms so that would be one of the types I would want.

I tend to cater to as many people as possible although it can be grueling so either way I am looking for the best base out there and then come to my own conclusions for a recipe.

Yeah, it will help save some money going directly to a store, just wish more of them were near me he he. I have not been to BCS so hopefully it will be a good experience.

On a side note, my fiancee has some Warm Vanilla Sugar in the oil burner and it is strong. Why can't it be in products? he he. Every time I order from a site now, I order her some WVS but so far it isn't strong enough for her in body products.

Actually, It might be quite dangerous having more suppliers close by! HA!

I ADORE burning FO's in a burner! They smell like 100 times more potent. I've had to play around and test quite a few because some are headache-inducing in my normal 1:1 ratio with the DPG. My poor fiance is sick of the house smelling like clean laundry (my fav home scent FO's). I get the eye rolling response when I tell him it's all for research. haha