? about CP rebatch & lye

beau's mama

I rebatched some CP soap almost 2 weeks ago & it's still rather soft. Not squishy soft, but firmly soft, if that makes sense. Is that normal? Maybe I added too much milk/oil :confused:

Also, is there a particular type of lye to buy for CP soap? Or is it enough that it simply says sodium hydroxide on the label and nothing else?

TIA

Sharon

It could be that you added too much milk or oil to your rebatch. I would just let it cure for longer and see what happens.

Re: lye: I buy lye from my local Lowe's, and also from my local Ace Hardware store. At Lowes' I buy Roebic's brand lye. It comes in a 2 lb. plastic canister for 7.96. At Ace, I can buy Rooto lye in a 1 lb plastic canister for $3 and some odd cents. The both say 100% Sodium Hydroxide (and nothing else) on the label. HTH! :)

MarieJeanette

Thanks E & MJ! I figured I added too much liquid. I'll let them sit longer.

why did you add more oil? excess water (milk) can evaporate out - but excess oil ain't goin' no where...

Ummm, well, the soap was a little old & I woke up one morning w/ this feeling that if I didn't try rebatching very soon, I'd die :D You know how those obsessive ideas take over your life. So, I decided to add more oil b/c I like less lather...figured the milk & extra oil would give me what I wanted. DH used a bar last night...said it didn't lather very much, BUT he didn't need oil afterwards...maybe I did get what I wanted!

Yea, I know I have some ways to go working w/ CP, but it's going to be fun!

why did you add more oil? excess water (milk) can evaporate out - but excess oil ain't goin' no where...

When rebatching, you can add more oils in at that time and make the bar a bit more luxurious (for a lack of a better word). I do it all the time but you do have to be careful to not add too much or it will affect the lather. I'll usually add in a TBS or less of some luxury oil like manoi. They turn out kind of ugly but those are some very nice bars IMO. I sell these ones and donate the proceeds to animal rescues and an animal foundation that helps pet owners pay their pets medical bills if the owner is not able to do so.

If the bar is pretty fresh when rebatching, you won't need as much water or liquid as you would when rebatching an older batch.