Hydrating mask

Mineralesque

Masks are fun. I usually go by ear, so long as there's about 40% clay in there (give or take 10%), you've got the mask-ey feel.

Maybe try:

40-50% clay (something mild like Aussie pastel pink, french pink or just kaolin)

20% finely ground oatmeal or hydrolyzed oatmeal powder

10-20% milk or yogurt powder

10% honey powder

(optional)10% anything else! Cocoa powder, aloe powder, kelp powder, ground herbs... up to you, really.

This is easy to store and can be mixed with either water or hydrosols, and added with essential oils for use. You can play around with the percentages and ingredients to see what you like.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Masks are fun. I usually go by ear, so long as there's about 40% clay in there (give or take 10%), you've got the mask-ey feel.

Maybe try:

40-50% clay (something mild like Aussie pastel pink, french pink or just kaolin)

10% honey powder

(optional)10% anything else! Cocoa powder, aloe powder, kelp powder, ground herbs... up to you, really.

This is easy to store and can be mixed with either water or hydrosols, and added with essential oils for use. You can play around with the percentages and ingredients to see what you like.

Have fun!

Thank you so much for posting this. I've been wanting to play and experiment with masks but wasn't sure what to put with what.:laugh2:

Right now, my latest favorite is equal parts rhassoul clay and baking soda, pre-mixed. When I want to use it, I shake out about a teaspoon into my hand, and add water and a few drops of agave nectar.

Once the mix hydrates, just mix it properly with a finger, and then apply to the face. Rub in gentle round motions before rinsing off.

The baking soda gives it gentle scrubbiness, the rhassoul... well, rhassoul is good! Also gives glide, so the baking soda isn't sandpapery. Agave nectar is an awesome humectant. I make this mix a little on the watery side, and the fluffy (super) mild lather rhassoul clay produces always amuses me :D

This is for now gentle enough for daily use for me. Actually, I use it as a daily cleanser! I have sensitive skin that clogs easily but flakes lots, so the mild exfoliation is great. My skin's so much softer, smoother and clearer!

Now, I'm just annoyed because my remaining stash of rhassoul clay is missing (I think someone threw the baggie away! :shocked2: ) and I will panic once my pre-mixed blend is gone. :mad:

There's Herbal Accents... they have it at one of the best prices I've seen ($9.50 pp), but they also have a $35 minimum order. http://www.herbalaccents.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HA&Category_Code=CLAYS

Mountain Rose Herbs has pretty good prices too, though I'm not sure if it's micronized. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/clay/clay.html

There's also New Directions Aromatics... lots of plugs for rhassoul on their site... http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/rhassoul-clay-p-1268.html

Soapies' Supplies has both micronized and chunks, but they're OOS for micronized at the moment. http://www.soapies-supplies.com/shop/Rhassoul-Clay-pr-105.html

Brambleberry... http://www.brambleberry.com/micas.html

And if you're in Canada... try Soapcraft. Karen's lovely, excellent customer service.

http://soapcraft.ca/claysandsalts.html

I love GoW, but perversely they have one of the highest prices I've seen for rhassoul :( About $9.80 for 8oz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Maybe try:

10% honey powder

Have fun!

I made a mask similar to this I used Kaolin clay, honey powder, baby oatmeal and lemon powder. Wasn't real sure about the lemon powder but thought it might lighten the dark freckles. I have never used a mask in my life (48 yrs old). Boy was my skin dry when I washed it off. So I used the oil mixture from the Oil Cleansing Method. 25% Castor Oil and 75% Sunflower Oil. My face sucked up this oil mixture but I still put the hot wet towel on my face.

Boy does my face feel amazing today.

Does the mask normally make your face feel so dry? I forgot the powder milk would that have made a difference?

Thanks in advance

Hi! I don't make or use masks at this time and I don't know what lemon power is like. So I am totally shooting an arrow in the dark but I know that I have read up on for lemon that even with soap they suggest that you don't use Lemon EO with anything with your face because of the way it can react. Here are some details on lemon:

How does Lemon work?

• Antiseptic - Inhibits the growth of microorganisms such as bacteria or fungi.

• Antidepressant - Helps uplift mood

• Anti-nausea – reduces nausea

• Astringent - Contracts, firms, and strengthens skin and other tissue; reduces secretions.

• Circulatory Stimulant – helps to increase blood circulation

• *Photosensitizing, phototoxic - May cause a skin reaction such as burning, irritation, or pigment change upon exposure to ultra-violet light (sunlight, tanning lights)

• Tonic - Increases tone and vitality of skin, other organs or body systems

Maybe this helps???