Has Anyone Used This Wax?

pjm

I am a newbie to this forum but I am curious about this wax also. I recently started using this wax myself and I am having a problem with my candles cracking around the edges. I've tried pouring at all different temps, heating my jars first and not heating them. It seems to happen no matter what I do. But it doesn't happen to every candle in the batch. The only thing I add to the wax is UV. Are you having any problems like this? If so, have you found any way to avoid it?

What kind of container are you using? The only problem I have had is using the 8 ounce and 4 ounce jelly jars that are not smooth on the outside. For some reason, the wax pulls away from the jars and frosting is a bad issue. They look terrible. If I pour the wax into a smooth container, problem solved. Weird, huh? I haven't heard if anyone else has had this problem. Also, I was a little dissatisfied with the scent throw of my first few candles. So, even though this wax is preblended and supposedly doesn't need any additives, I added a little less than a teaspoon of vybar to a pound of wax. Maybe it was coincidence, but the color was much creamier and so far, the scent seems much stronger. I was hesitant in adding the vybar because I know too much can bind the scent. I finding out the the rules of candle making are not set in stone. Go figure!!:smiley2:

I am using 5oz and 9oz honey pot jars. They are smooth jars. I just can't seem to figure out why it happens in some and not others. What temp do you pour at. I have tried from 160 up to 175 and it still seems to happen. I have not had any problems with scent throw in them. But when I hit them with the heat gun sometimes it solves it, other times the crack come back. Sometimes they will crack right across the wick. It's very aggravating. I was thinking maybe it's air bubbles. I've tapped the sides and I don't get any bubbles out of them. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

I pour at around 190 - 200. That was when I was trying to get rid of the frosting. I called candlesandsupplies and they told me to pour hotter. It didn't help in the jelly jars, but they do well in every other container. So, I'm blaming it on the jars. Do you poke holes around the wick while it is cooling to avoid any air pockets? :undecided

I also use this wax. I was mixing it w/ J223, but frankly got tired of figuring out my ratios, and was finding that I would have no luck getting some scents to throw, plus too much soot!SO, now I am liking the Soypour 1275 alone, MUCH cleaner burn, scents throwing great, I use CD wicks, and get a nice burn-great throw, AND this makes a nice, creamy looking candle.HTH!

I just caught up with all of your posts:

I have also experienced to cracks along the outer edge of a FEW jars w/ this wax, I attributed it to the soy content, I can fix it some of the time w/ the heat gun. I am not too worried about it, although, I haven't had it crack across the wick! :undecided

I have not heated my jars, (I am trying to get all my holiday pouring done now, before my basement gets too cold...) I pour at 165-175... I was also told by Cindy @ C&S hat this wax has a recommended cure time by the manufacturer of 1 week. I have found that i can greatly reduce a cure time on most scents by using the CD wicks. (I usd to use zinc, I found that they didn't throw well for me w/ this wax)

Sorry to hear that you were having the same issues but at the same time I'm glad to find someone else who has. I was thinking it was something I'm doing wrong. I also use CD wicks but I haven't noticed any problems with scent throw. In the end I think I'm going to change waxes. How do you like the J223? I haven't tried it but a lot of people seem to use it.

I personally didn't think it was all that great, and we used a BIG percentage of it mixed w/ the 1275-lots of sooting problems, and folks around us really are big into the soy, but no way am I into going 100% soy, so far I am happy w/ this wax, I am not going to say that we might not experiment again sometime...:grin2:

I have had the cracking a few times but I just took my hea gun a zap the jars and they come out fine. I use 8ooz jellies, 16oz mason, 9oz hex & 3.75oz hex jars. In the cvool weather I heat my jars but in the warm weather I don't heat. And I pour at about 175-180.

Jeanna

I don't use those jars but I use the CD wicks and they seem to work pretty well in that wax. I didn't really notice a problem with the scent throw. But someone mentioned adding a little vybar in and they said that seemed to help. I tried it this weekend but I haven't test burned them yet. One night this week I will burn them and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for everyone's input, I poured a little hotter this weekend and it seemed to help with the cracks. :smiley2:

Sharon, I would have mixed it also. I'm not looking to go all soy either. I think maybe I'll mess around with this wax a little more and if I can't get it to work well maybe I'll go back to the IGI 6006. Thanks again everyone.