sigh...help with pictures

I want to change my photos to make it just the product and white out or crop out the background. Is $3 a photo about right? I am trying to learn to paint shop pro....but i can find any tutorials and i just want to get it done. But then i have to do all of my photos to make my website look the same...sigh...and what about when i get new products?

I am doing this becuase i was told by Donna Maria Johnson Founder and CEO, Indie Business Media, LLC where i get my insurance from, that she can not feature me until i have better pictures. :sad2:

what should i do?

Other than asking her if she looked in the mirror lately...lol..??

One thought is to try a black background and see how that looks. I've also downloaded a 30 day trial of adobe elements and that gave me some fiddle around time in order to determine if I needed a college education to use it. I think you can buy this for around $80 if you like it. It has the feature where you can change your background to whatever color you want. I don't have a web address for the free trial, but it may be on the adobe site.

Other than asking her if she looked in the mirror lately...lol..??

One thought is to try a black background and see how that looks. I've also downloaded a 30 day trial of adobe elements and that gave me some fiddle around time in order to determine if I needed a college education to use it. I think you can buy this for around $80 if you like it. It has the feature where you can change your background to whatever color you want. I don't have a web address for the free trial, but it may be on the adobe site.

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing about her looking in the mirror! :D

Amanda.. what is she going to guarantee you by featuring you? What kind of business does she get or have that makes her insist that you have better pictures? Not that it's not a good idea to change your photos.. I"m just curious as to what she has that's so great?? I surely didn't see it by visiting her site!

I hope you don't mind, but I played around with some of your pictures on Photoshop. Maybe she meant something like this?

Originals:

strawberryjumbomelts400width.jpgBlueberryminimelts400widthlargeimag.jpg

Edited:

strawberryjumbomelts400widt.jpgBlueberryminimelts400widthl.jpg

I took them from your site, so they're not high-res, and this was reduced further when I saved the pictures for web, but it should give you a rough idea.

Thanks Moon,Ring, and Mike. Jadryga, that is cool that you can do that. Yeah that is probably what she meant. I have always wanted the kind of picture where it looks like your product is floating in thin air. I am working with beckie, since she is the best. I am usually good at taking critcism. But Sharon is right, not that i shouldn't change my pictures but what is she offering me? Maybe i just needed a good kick in the butt to get motivated on my pictures again....Thank you everybody.

If someone is asking to take your photos for $3 each, I'd run the other way if it were me unless I know them really well. Way too cheap unless you're not expecting much. To edit them in PS... maybe but I think it's highway robbery as simple as it is to do.

I think I'd tell Donna Maria Johnson Founder and CEO, Indie Business Media, LLC to take a flying leap and email her mapquest directions to the nearest lake. I'd also have to mention to her she couldn't have my business featured at all till she was a real INC. and not an LLC. :D

Your photos look fine and if you need some help with sending a few of them through photoshop to brighten them up, PM me before Friday and I'll do some for you Friday night.

:laugh2: Grumpy, you are so funny. Actually the $3 was from a very reptuable person on CT, she was just offering me a deal. :wink2: We worked something out.

But the Donna lady emailed me this morning asking for my phone number becuase she wanted to call me "about today" I emailed her back and ask "what about today?" She said she wanted to talk to me in person about "my request" What? I gave it to her this morning but have not heard back. I have no idea what she could be talking about. Maybe she is on CT? That is why i always try to be as polite as i can cuz you never know it can come and bite you in the butt......we will see what Donna Maria Johnson Founder and CEO, Indie Business Media, LLC wants. :confused:

She's always been real good with me, and the stuff she offers in the newsletters are pretty good too.

Just as an outsider, those are YOUR pics and do with what you want, but they are kinda darkish and you can see the flash prominently on the jars. They are set up GREAT, but they are dark.

you know, i don't know what i am getting by being a member. every time i try to look for an article it says "coming soon" or it is dated 2001?

And the magazine will not be published until further notice....i has links to her previous magazines but you can't actually read them. You have to buy the back issues.

I offered a discount so i can be put in the area where members offer discount to other members, and i think maybe that is what she wants to talk to me about.

She has a blog, newsletter, and radio show but i am not good enough to be any of them...The HBU sounds interesting but i can not afford the $200.

I am only a member becuase it came with the insurance.

Just throwing my two cents in. While I'm not sure if being given 'promotional spots' on this site you were talking about in your first post is the best idea, I think I know what she means about better pictures.

I don't think it's the ones of your actual product. I'm sure she's talking about the 'stretching' that is occuring on pictures that seem to be of certain scents. Like this one for example

http://www.justrightcandles.com/store/images/sprucechristmastree200x100.jpg

The dimensions are off. The tree looks smooshed.

And this one on your main page...

http://www.justrightcandles.com/UserFiles/Image/egg%20nog300.jpg

again it looks stretched horizontally and smooshed vertically a bit

I'm sure the gal helping you with your pics can help you sort that out as well as it's pretty easy to fix. This stuff can seem pretty nit-picky, but it definately helps your shop presence and is also mentally tied in with professionalism and quality.

Thanks for the compliment, Ring of Fire! I do it for fun and it is a mini side job. Honestly, I became so frustrated with not being able to get a white background that I taught myself how to edit them. It took awhile to learn, but I am finally there. I had tried everything from taking photos outside on a sunny day/cloudy day. I made my own light boxes. I tried white sheets in the background, white poster board, etc. Nothing worked. I always had a grayish background, no matter how white my background really was. lol. That is why I started editing photos. It isn't as easy as it looks, which is why most people charge a few dollars per picture. Once again, thanks for the compliment! :)

• 3 weeks later...